Planet Four Talk

Hills or hollows?

• p.titchin by p.titchin

This is a superb example of the southern pole lighting that gives the illusion that these spider channels and central body pits appear to be "ridges" and "mounts". A good one for the P4 blogs to explain how our eyes are fooled to our new friends.~ pete.- 5 figure classifications and 5 years on., and getting worried that this superb site is stalling.So much to get out of these images other than the stats of CO vents. 😦 But -fear not I will soldier on !!!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

There's definitely other things that can be done with the HiRISE images, some of that is already written in papers, but I'm sure there are other analysis left to do. But the wind directions and the frequency and sizes of fans is important. There was a lot of interest for the results from Planet Four at a conference Anya, Michael, and Candy went to on Mars Polar Science. So there is useful things going to come out of the project. Thanks for all of your contributions Pete.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

ta meg.. These images are amazing. This one just struck me as so full of interest that I wished the site was a bit 'busier' with a few more people on line. With a personal interest in 'met' I know the value of the fan and blotch marking and am totally hooked on the Southern polar area. ~pete.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Agreed. Though there are people on the site, but I think due to the design of the next and Talk button layout, we have less people moving to talk. The Zooniverse has studied the impact of their design choices in past projects to inform the building of their new project builder platform that was used to build Planet Four: Terrains and Planet Four: Ridges. Eventually we will be moving Planet Four to this platform too likely in another year. I'm planning on sending a newsletter out early next week.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Good news Meg. I hope the plans move ahead fast. It should deal with the 'stall' that I felt evident from the outside. All I wish is well to this amazing project and am proud looking back on the last 5 years and hope to remain amazed for the next 5 years. (God willing)~pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi Pete. When it comes to soldiering on, you're definately a 5-star general. 😉

I agree with you that it would be nice to see more people on Talk and, like you, I'll keep my fingers crossed that a move to the new platform will generate more chatter. I guess all the Zooniverse projects have a peak at the start and a declining curve over time so we're not alone with this 'problem'.

Couple of things spring to mind that might affect the P4 attendance figures: Marking on P4 is (in general) more complex than P4:Ridges and P4:Terrains so I think some people opt for them when they try them. Also, the discussion boards are now packed with easily accessible info and answers that most people will want and so there's less need for them to start a discussion.

I remember in the early days of the project when Talk was busy that many people were online who were not joining in the chat. I spent some time sending a personal message to these 'sleepers' trying to encourage them to join in. Many of them sent a reply and they all said basically the same thing; "Thanks, but I'm happy just to watch and listen".

There's also a chance that a published paper will generate some more discussion. Let's hope so. What say you?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Yes Kith, a good full paper of specific P4 connection would encourage volunteers a lot. Seems to have been so close for a while now. Lets hope for going to print soon.I'm sure the P4 scientists are striving to that end. 😃 ~pete.

Posted

Hi,

There's been some challenges we've had to overcome to get a full working data analysis pipeline and most of us are not funded to work on Planet Four full time if at all at times which has slowed things down. We're the closest to finalizing the pipeline that we've ever been. I'm really hopeful that before the end of the summer we'll be able to say the pipeline is finalized. I'm sure this is frustrating, and I'm sorry for that. Michael has made great progress especially over the past few months. We're dedicated to getting a science paper out of the classification you've made.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted