Planet Four Talk

Many Fans, Different Directions

• thecones by thecones

I'm new to this project working it as part of a Master's course. I plotted my take on fans versus blotches. Can others please provide comments on your thoughts of which is which? In addition, I think it is interesting that two large fans go in one direction and the smaller one and large one off to the right go in a different direction. This shows the wind direction has been different in this area but over what time frame would this take place?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to thecones's comment.

Hi 'thecones', and welcome.Your image seems to show lots of fairly small vented 'fan' deposits, running roughly down the image and slightly to the right. A linear band of these look to have become confluent and formed a horizontal 'blotch' runnigacross the image. I don't think in this case it is a wind driven fan. When these blotches form, they tend to be at right angles to the fans which have joined to make them..Here is a nice image of this that is further developed with heavier venting. APF00015z2 . and this is my favourite of coloured multidirection wind blown vented fans- APF0000wzs . (just click on the blue numbers to see the images) Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure you will get more answers on your thread. ~Pete.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to thecones's comment.

Hello and welcome to P4. At first glance the main feature appears to be two large fans in different directions, but Pete's comment above deserves full consideration so we need to take a closer look.

OK, I've had a closer look and I can't make up my mind. 😃 Whatever you chose to mark these objects as (fans or blotches) will be good enough I'm sure.

Nice to see you here. Good luck with your Masters. Cheers, Kith.

Posted