Planet Four Talk

"etched" Macclesfield terraine.

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Find this terraine odd. Hard to work out how they develope from a 'spider network'. I presume over millenia??? Anyone else wondering?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

If you look at the RGB image from HiRise you may be able to see what's going on (or it could just be an illusion)
    St rt at the top and you can see what look a lot like spiders (big bugs maybe) but as you move down the image they get gradually less distinct in the middle region (where I guess this image comes from) and then reappear as more 'proper' spiders at the bottom.

enter image description here

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Thanks for this Wassock, I'd been looking at just this gradation across the strip, and it is what puzzled me. Why and how does this section develope, when as you comment, the 'spiders' are visible in the developement elsewhere. I'm looking at the deep radar scanned topography now to see if there is a clue to the different evolvement. Cheers ~ Pete

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Just noticed something else about the big strip - at the top the fans are vaguely "10 to 2" but around half way down they flip to being the opposite way round.

I've suggested elsewhere that the fan directions in this area repeated every year - down to the order the individual fans are formed

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to wassock's comment.

I recall that as well. It could be topography, like there's a slope, which is hard to gleam just from the image. We should be able to combine all the information with your individual fan markings.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted