Planet Four Talk

Hairline Fractures

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Running down the image (top left and near centre) are some very thin 'hairline fracture' features. We met some of these many moons ago but I've not noticed them for a long time. They were mysterious then and they are mysterious now.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Just like buses: None for ages, then two come along together. APF0001e6x

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Would be interesting to see a later image when the fans really get going, if they are cracks we should see them venting?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

I had a summer student work this summer on developing some of the tools necessary so that we can do that. So we can identify different P4 images that have the same position in it. Hopefully in time we'll have that all ready to go to link fans from one image to another.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

There's some recently classified images having similar hairline fractures: APF0001e4m APF0001ee2 APF0001e3v

I have them in a new collection entitled fractures if ur able to access my collections.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Just classified this image from Giza. APF0001e63 . It has a well developed system of fine 'cracking' outlining polygons, the 'cracks being outlined themselves by dark material. Could this be vented deposits from very low level and low pressure venting or seepage? ~ Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hi,

Looking at the bigger image, it does look the dark is outlining polygonal cracks, though not fully. It looks like the image is taken in Autumn so there is not more ice around. I can't remember if you can processes that concentrate soil into the cracks or preferred size of paticle.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• floriel by floriel

I started to tag pictures with those hairline cracks with #cracks until I realized that the tag was in some cases used for other, bigger cracks. So I now use #hairlines since it hasn't been used jet.
    A recently classified image clearly shows loads of fans being emitted along the hairline cracks: APF0001eqs

Posted

• floriel by floriel

And I just realized p.titchin already gathered a whole collection of em: Linear emissions

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to floriel's comment.

Hi floriel,

You're very welcome to make your own collection of these and do your own investigation as well.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted