Planet Four Talk

Features that do not fall within the fan or blotch category, but must be related

• ian-f by ian-f

Hi. I have only within the last hour began to look at the Martian surface with this website and have done my best with, for example, the image APF0001i5w to properly categorize features as fans or blotches. Some of the features, however, though surely related to the same phenomena do not obviously fall within those categories, their shapes being more irregular. There can be seen, for example, at centre-right below an obvious fan a y-shaped feature; I could conceive of this as being a fan improperly seen in the image due to the image resolution or magnification or perhaps it is the remnant of a fan or a merging of blotches. I would prefer, however, not to make guesses of this sort and to provide clearly spurious results. I wondered whether you might be able to provide some guidance here. I assume, based on the discussion on the 'About' page that the channel-like structures are 'spiders'?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi there. Welcome to Planet Four.

When it comes to marking fans and blotches, I'm sure the science team would be quite happy for you to 'mark what you see'. For example, your y-shaped feature could be seen as one misshaped blotch or two tiny fans. Again, the fan above (with the split tail) might be a single fan, or it may be two separate fans blown in different directions at different times. There are a lot of 'are they aren't they' examples in the images and it's often a case of best guess will have to do. Having said that, all your best guesses will be welcomed by the scientists.

Yes, the channel-like structures are 'spiders'. Good Hunting. 😃

Posted