Planet Four Talk

poygonal shaped rocks.

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Wassock, another nice image of these rock/ boulder/ hills. T C Orloff et al have some comments on them from the 41st lunar and Planetary Science Conference (2010) 2184.pdf. Its only 2 pages, but easy reading. I emailed it to Kith last week, but my IT skills don't stretch to trying to get a link on this.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hiya,

I wanted to make a quick comment about Lunar and Planetary Science Conference 2-page papers. They are abstracts submitted to the conference for talks and posters. The abstract limit is 2 pages. They're not peer reviewed and many people present results in progress, so just keep that in mind when reading LPSC abstracts.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

thanks Meg, as an ameuteur astronomer for 50 years, and a University of London lecturer(,now retired) and loving being a 'citizen scientist' on planet four, I am well aware, and have been for 40 years on the requirements for publication and peer review, I noted a couple of your other similar comments on the boards to some moderator comments. I accept your reminder for others that may read these threads. Can I ask therefor if you dispute what Mr Orloff is saying in this, or in his much meatier papers, or are your comments more concerned with the access we have to this information. I understood that these boards were for kicking ideas, if not, then limit us, but I will still work towards classifying your 4,000,000 images. I hope , however, you will take the mad' idea kicking' from those of us who are willing to put in ideas that would otherwise cost you 'lotsa dosh' 😃 My hope is that your remit is to keep us corralled.(if you can) xxx 😃

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Hiya,

You're free to kick ideas around and we on the science team encourage that. Part of the role of the scientists on Talk includes helping guide discussions by pointing out what we know and also helping to inform about how the scientific process works. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you, and no disrespect was intended with my post. Apologies, if you felt it was.

For many people projects like Planet Four are their first experience with scientific work other than from an outreach experience or what was taught in classes perspective. My comment is to clarify to others reading since you mentioned it was a 2 page paper. Not everyone is as familiar with the publication process and what happens at scientific conferences. So they might not know what an LSPC abstract is.

LPSC abstracts are publicly accessible, but not all papers on Mars and planetary science are free. I'm sure you're aware that some are behind a paywall or require a journal subscription. Some papers are posted on a free preprint archive (this is typically done in astronomy by authors of papers and I think becoming hopefully a trend in planetary science) but not all Mars papers are available. So it's a comment for others to understand the difference between the paper and an LSPC abstract. More a comment on what you have access to.

I haven't read Dr. Orloff's paper, so my comment is more that what's in an abstract for a conference can change from what's in the final paper and that was presented at the conference in the abstract may be preliminary results. So just to take that into consideration for anyone reading LPSC abstracts. If there is an occasional paper you're really interested in and would need to go through a paywall, send me a direct message and we can likely a sort a solution to get you a copy.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

thanks Meg, all succinctly explained, as always. I'll keep on looking at my boulders in between classifying! ~Pete

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Can you outline what he,s saying about them?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to wassock's comment.

Wassock: I've attached it to an email for you. Check yer inbox 😉

Posted