Planet Four Talk

strange crater

• p.titchin by p.titchin

This is a very busy image, as Ive commented., and I was going to share it anyway, but when I looked at the HiRISE RGB col strip, I found it too was fascinating.This image comes from almost exactly half way down the strip. One thing I would like help with is an impact crater (one of many in the area). It is about a fifth the way down the strip, one of a group of 6 near the left side, second crater down (the largest in this group) a white/bluey grey anomaly under the upper rim. Perhaps the white spot is the top of a boulder catching the light, but I can't really make it out.
    All suggestions gratefully received! 😮

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Sorry. Another one I can't help with. An early image (2006) at 69S and 156E which places it well outside the polar layered area and cryptic region.

Problem for me is we know virtually nowt about boulders. In all my reading so far I've only seen one 'science' statement that says 'they are probably, maybe, perhaps...' and 'often found along ridges'. I've got images of these 'ridge boulders', but there seem to be more that aren't on ridges. So for now there isn't much to go on. Might be useful to know if they are widely found, or more localised in some areas.

Like I said, not much help at all. 😛

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

The large number of crisp outline impact craters in the HiRISE is fun to see for a change, as I presume these are lost in the 'deposit' areas. Sure would like to know why the boulders are so often clustered on the top of mounds and ridges.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

I'LL keep collecting my boulders! On the developing spiders theme, nice series of time elapse on a single spider attached to the HiRISE from image APF0001yfk.
    ~Pete

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

This crater was also featured here... http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000001/discussions/DPF0000d07

I will update the image (once my internet connection stops messing me about) as I went overboard with the level adjustments (not happy with it).

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Hi JM, it really is a busy image. I was really interested (see 1st post in the thread) in a crater I found on the HiRISE RGBcolour strip from this image. It is about 1/5th the way down the strip on the left. If anybody else can find it, I would be grateful for any comments,
    ~Pete

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Boulders left atop ridges ought not to be too strange to anyone who's been up on top of Dartmoor/Bodmin/Exmoor - the tors are just that big 'boulders' of granite left behind after the softer stuff around them has worn away. So could be that the hilltop boulders on Mars are something similar

Posted