Planet Four Talk

rectolinear ice lines

• p.titchin by p.titchin

have just marked a fascinating image of rectolinear, rather than polygonal ice lines, and having just looked at the HiRISE was struck by the adjacent layering. Started to comment on it, and screen just changed to a new image. Much 'p'ed off! managed to retrieve an ESP no, ( 011431 9930) but was unable to pull back the image. Really would like to get it back, A striking area of geometric patterning, -but NO venting. Odd... Any help appreciated.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

For some reason I'm compelled to suggest a look around the 'Inca City' region on HiRise. Sorry it's nothing more than a hunch, but your description seems to fit the type of thing I've seen there in the past. Might be totally wrong scale (or shape) but probably worth a quick search.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to p.titchin's comment.

If it helps, all the images you classify are in your recents (on main P4 page go to Profile--> Recents and it should be there (not 100% what the order of the images is though but I think you can part out yourself).

I think this one of the regions where the spiders channels connected into more linear-like channels. The polygonal cracks with spider channels in them likely form differently.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks Meg, as always you are a star! I found the image, it is close to the layered deposits. The fractures form very even aligned squares. I shall have a look at earth polar ice regions and see if I can find the like. I can understand how pentagons can form easier than rectangles. thanks again

Pete.

Posted