Planet Four Talk

Found a sort of interesting shape.

• Sylverone by Sylverone

It's in the lower left quadrant. Here's a cropped image:

"staff/needle" and "trinity" shapes

What caught my eye is the "trinity" shape at the bottom of the valley (it is a valley, right?). Sort of cool. Flip it upside down and it would look sort of like a three-petaled flower or pinwheel. I'm already aware of pareidolia.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Hello Sylverone, some images display an array of body parts, faces, tools etcetera... none of which is real of course!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to Sylverone's comment.

Hi There. I don't know what a 'trinity' shape is, unless you mean 'female, tight black suit, played in Matrix'. 😛

Also didn't know what 'pareidolia' was and had to look it up. Thanks for a new word.

Yes, valley rather than ridge, but we tend to use 'channel' (spider) so we don't get mixed up with 'real' valleys when we see them.

JM: Are you telling me the camels on Mars aren't real? 😦

Posted

• Sylverone by Sylverone

Kitharode: I looked it up to get the proper name - it's called the "trinity knot" or "triquetra". Here's wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triquetra

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it means anything, and I'm certainly not invoking religion. I just recognized the shape as something I've seen before.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to Sylverone's comment.

Thanks for the wiki link. Something else I've learnt. I love the images of variant forms on the bottom of that page. Very cool. Once I knew what the shape was, it was easy to see it in your enlarged image, but well done you for spotting it in the first place.

Going back to your original image above, the large circular feature (top right corner) is interesting. Possible ghost crater, or just the lay of the land?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

PS to above: Just had a look at the full HiRise image. Well worth a visit. It's in the Oswego Region and this is a place I've only recently become aware of. It's a gold mine for spider freaks like me. ** 😛 **

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

There are other 'looping' features in the area as well - common cause? Try the padlock 45 degrees down and left

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Pareidolia was a new one for me as well! (and it defeated even my multi-volume Oxford Dictionary.) You live and learn!! I think I'll stick with 'apophenia'. Incidentally, have a look on the science board, objects-'walls on mars' thread. Similar 'apophenia', but----"Here be spiders" for your enjoyment.

Pete

Posted