Planet Four Talk

smooth surface feature.

• p.titchin by p.titchin

An unusual smooth area on the left side of this image looks very smooth and flat like a frozen lake. Any help anyone?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

You might find this useful (or not): 'Smoove' http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000002/discussions/DPF0000aah

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Thanks for the link Kit. Yes, I've seen many 'smooths' like this, and been interested in the arguements as to their developement.This to me is very different. It appears to be terrain bounded, but is totally flat. and not at all the same sort of colour change. ( I know we have to be wary of colours.) There are a couple of similar patches on the HiRISE near by, but they also are nothing like the 'smoothes we have discussed before. Look at the edges, and look at the surface.I was very reluctant to liken it to a refrozen liquid, but it is the only visual reference I can think of. It seems to be a gravity effected contour filling substance. It is very different from the 'smoothes' I have picked up before. It's a puzzle to me.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

fog filled valley maybe?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Pete, you're right about it being different from the 'smoove' features we've seen before. I was so busy digging out that old link that I hadn't looked closely at your 'lake'. 'Gravity affected contour filling substance' is a lovely way to put your image across.

Can we have fog on Mars?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Interesting discussion. One thing it's hard to gauge from the HiRISE images is depth perception. Without having an elevation map, it can be difficult to determine if something is elevated or a wall. It might be that the smooth part is actually part of a ridge or wall or something like that. But I'm just speculating here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Thanks all. I do really think this is a different feature. I've looked at hundreds of smooths,or 'smooves' because I don't think I've seen a convincing theory for the formation of them, and I certainly have no ideas. This one is odd, and I have found a couple of others on the relevant HiRise, Please anyone, all ideas considered!!So far Kit and Wassock have punted 'fog' this is seductive, but the edges are so crisp . Still looks like a filled lake that has then frozen. Thanks Meg, Contour would be nice!! I think I will be years in my grave before a 'rover ' gets there. Do we have any radar scanning from previous orbiters? Which ever way I rotate the image it looks like a filled depression. (but I know how easy it is to look like an idiot on that one!!)

Pete

Posted

• angi60 by angi60

Pete: I've seen lots of images from the Ithaca region which have grey smooth areas, particularly below fans, often crescent -shaped (not on this image, but you'll see some if you look at the RGB colour of the image, and scroll down to the bottom). I wonder if your image is a similar feature. I know this doesn't explain what it is though! :-X

enter image description here

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to angi60's comment.

Thanks Angie, I can't access the HiRISEfrom your image, as there are no references. If the type of smooth you mean is the one in this image, then this is very much the feature I'm not talking about! These occur often, often slightly pink tinged and with very different and indefinite boundaries. Have a look at my image. It is odd. I assume from Kitharodes comments that he thought I was talking about these sort of 'smooves' before seeing the difference. If you can find any similar to mine- let us know!

Pete

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to p.titchin's comment.

Ah, sorry Pete, I didn't realise you wouldn't be able to get the HiRise image. Apologies.

No, the smooth patches aren't shown on the above image, but on the bigger picture shown on HiRise. So no, I don't mean patches like those above. The ones I mean tend to be grey, often horseshoe shaped below fans, and some look like lakes. The one on your image looks a darker grey, but otherwise it is very similar. Hope you manage to solve the mystery!

Posted