Planet Four Talk

starfish feature

• Chocstar by Chocstar

What do they mean by a "starfish feature" ? Not really seen any starfish shapes.

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_003824_0845

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Chocstar. Can't give you an answer I'm afraid, but hopefully someone will know. It's an interesting question and the main image via your link is wonderful. Just for fun I'll hazard a guess that it's a large scale feature (larger than the images can hold) with 'starfish' shape and/or texture (visually). Alternatively, big-bodied fat legged spider channels like a starfish.

It's probably something else ** 😛 **

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to Chocstar's comment.

Hi!

The name came from one of the first images of this area, it was taken in spring and had many dark blotches with fans going to all directions in a way resembling starfish legs... I do not think, it happened more than once but the first name stuck!

Anya

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

We've now got a whole bunch of 'new' images that have been put up, mostly they are older images than those seen previously, from 2007, and there are a few instances I've noticed where it seems that terminology has moved on since then.

Nice to have you back Anya, hope you've been somewhere warm and sunny.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Yes, season 1 images are showing but launched with Season 2 and Season 3. Season 2 and Season 3 have better targeting and scheduling so that's why Planet Four started with those first.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted