Planet Four Talk

Strange white blob

• angi60 by angi60

To my eyes the white blob at top right looks different from usual boulders. It also looks elongated. Interesting surface too, with track-like features!

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Hi angie60. There is also another elongated blob to the left of it but darker.. Could be ice deposits (if a depression) or remnants of carbon dioxide snow (if a peak). This is another way of saying 'I haven't a clue' 😃.

Rotating the image confused the issue, as the 'channels' in the original image became 'ridges' (it's normally the other way round).

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

This doesn't make any sense to me unless the light is coming in from the top left. Perhaps Meg will know whether this is one of those 'occasional' images with this direction of lighting. I've rotated and turned and twisted this every whichway but it only makes channels (for me) with top left lighting.

As a guess, strange white blob is lighting on ice/frost.

Posted

I tried to find a similar image with a few boulders... APF0000x5y. I've spun it round so 'channels' become 'ridges' (I never thought I'd be saying that) 😃. There's also the remnants of (what looks like) a large crater.

![Sample] (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/slu42nbce98qu3e/R-5143480bea305267e900004d.jpg)

Posted

Just found this... APF0000x90. So the white blobs look very much like boulders, lined up on a ridge... doesn't make any sense? Here's another... APF0000x9f.

Posted

• angi60 by angi60 in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Hi JellyMonster. Thanks for playing with the image (I understand you're quite an expert, so a little bird told me, with a name begiinning with K! Your 'Orangery' website's good!). It's weird how our eyes are deceived. It's quite distinctive territory, and image APF0000X90 seems to show the same elongated objects. Maybe they're a type of boulder after all. Thanks for your help 😃

Posted

Thank you for the compliment angie60. I'm better at messing with images rather than trying to explain them (I leave that for that astronomer guy and wassock). Normally, rotating an image will magically transform any ridges to channels. The image you have collected starts off with channels which may suggest they are ridges?

Posted

• angi60 by angi60

No problem. That's the beauty of a project like this - people have all sorts of talents to contribute (though I'm not sure I have any!) At least I'm a pair of eyes! Keep up the good work messing with images. Thanks.

Posted