Planet Four Talk

looks famiiar

• wassock by wassock moderator

What do you see? - nothing cos i cant get the image link to work

Posted

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfmb4pvcnaaqd32/capture_01-1.png

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to wassock's comment.

Craters........you can flip and strip this one any way you like, it's still craters.

This is a Mars pic?.....or the Moon?

Posted

Ah yes but craters with fans............ on Mars

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

wassock,
    Wish I could be certain, but maybe there is no ice here? There aren't many craters in the south polar region by what I've heard. So maybe this is the 'outskirts' of town? I see many very similar craters, and no doubt there is what looks to be a lighter shaded dust downwind of the craters. (where it seems to have come from) This might be ejecta thrown in the same direction as the trajectory of the impactor(s), or IMO, it's crater material that has just been deposited by the prevailing winds. If you notice, there isn't a real 'fanning' outward of the dust, in fact it tapers inward as it moves away from the crater rim. Pehaps the rim is even what directs the wind to create these 'teardrop' shaped streaks. My guess is this is not the same process as we see in most of the 'fan' or blotch images. In short, I don't really know 😃

Posted

Good call - this is from a long way North of the pole. I thought about the lighter material being impact material but that would mean that all these impacts came from the same direction. OK now have a look at the 2 small features near the top, both about the same distance down and the larger one on the left near the top - compare the shadows in these with the bright ones in the middle.

Posted

Ah, yes I see them, both about 1.5cm from the top, 1 at the left edge, the other almost dead center?

OK, if we can agree the sun is coming in from almost due West, (relative to the image orientation) then I'll hazard a guess.

First off, I take it you are commenting on the fact that the shadow appears to the right side of ALL but the noted feature at the top left edge?

Assuming a "yes" to the above, here it is:

The object in the upper center is a crater, and like all the other craters in the image, the shdow is on the right edge, consistent with sun from the right to left, so that the left most rim of the craters are in direct sunlight, and the right slope of the crater rim is 'below' the sun, so in shadow.........however, the upper left object is not a crater, but an outcrop of rock or a boulder whose right side is facing direct sunlight, while behind it(left) is the shadow of the boulder. JMHO

Posted

You should change your name to "Ol' Eagle Eye"! 😃

How in the heck did you even spot that difference in the shadow orientation?

Posted

Dang!

Now I've spotted 2 more 'wrong' shadows in the image near the top. Very small features, could be other 'rocks' but I can't "zoom" the dropbox image (not just this one,.... ANY of them). Do you have the original jpg. in your collections? Or a location of the original?

Posted

The first image is a crop from this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/uolazjba5iyeyhm/capture_02.png the darker features at the bottom of the first one look like depressions but are oppositely shadowed to the bright features with the fans. The big craters on the left of the bigger image also are oppositely shadowed. The simplest option I have thought of is that it's a composite image and bits of it taken in the morning and other bits in the evening, if that's not it then there would seem to be something odd going on.

Posted

That's a great catch, wassock!

The only natural things that I can even imagine for something like that would be severely sloping terrain or perhaps a combination of slope and ejecta being pushed up along one edge of the crater rim. That, or these are actually mounds or mesa-like shapes that we're seeing 'wrong'.(I'd rather not have to think about THAT)

IMO, you've got it right when you say it's an effect caused by the way the composite picture was constructed. Makes for some interesting viewing, because there are a few of the larger features that suddenly 'flip' from crater to mound as I view them. Bizzare when they are right next to each other. Like my brain is toying with me for it's own amusement 😃

Posted