Planet Four Talk

So..what's going on here?

• Killzerman by Killzerman

is weird, no?

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

I think this spider is venting gas and dark material and staining the surrounding area.

There's my tuppence worth!

Posted

• Killzerman by Killzerman

On a very large scale it seems ^.^ but makes sense

Posted

• MarsGazer by MarsGazer

So in one of the earliest pages i saw one of the scientists say that 'green' with the filter used to take these pictures is 'more CO2 than in the surrounding area' ... so this whole image is CO2 dry ice ... but as the sun heats up the ice it sublimates where the rays hit the ground.. and the CO2 gass then builds up in these channels... so what you see is the CO2 concentration buildup within these channels...

I hope i explain it correctly, but from what i understood about the color explanation and linking that to this image, that is what i would make of this... looks realy cool 😃

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

@Paul Johnson and @MarsGrazer give I think a good idea of what may be going on. Another option is that the fans have been there for a while from this spider and are actually sinking in to the ice and ice is restucturing/refreshing itself or it could be fresh CO2 frost deposited on the surface from the geysers. Michael wrote a detailed explanation of the refreshing scenario here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted