Planet Four Talk

Faint 'tracking'

• richard.harbon by richard.harbon

besides the obvious fans and linear raises/dips running approx image north/south, there are faint (what can best be described as interconnecting tracks) lines joining to make rough rectangles? Can anyone else see these or have an idea to ehat caused them etc?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

I can see them. I have 2 possible explanations: 1) these are very clean cracks in the ice cover or 2) polygonal terrain cracks - i.e. they are in the solid surface together with those parallel lines. I need to see defrosted image to be able to judge better.

Anya

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Anya I've looked a several images with this type of terrain and they all have these very fine, like a hair on the lens, tracks on them. There are also images of the same sort of lines but with different colour, so far I've not found these fine lines there

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

@Portyankina this image shows 2 interesting features on this type of terrain http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/50e740d55e2ed21240002ea1.jpg The fan on the right is coming from a straight fissure which cuts across one of the the 'vertical' line features. the fan on the left looks like it's coming from a curved fissure which follows the line of one of the very fine lines.

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi!

I have written a blog post abut these vertical lines. No news on air-like lines yet, working on it.

Anya

Posted