Planet Four Talk

parallel lines

• mattymungus by mattymungus

done a few pics but first time ive had one with lots of parallel lines, are there many of these ?

Posted

• jules by jules

I've seen lots - and now have a collection of them! I'm also using #tramlines as a tag in case they are useful. I posted a different kind of parallel lines (well they look different to me) here.

Posted

• mattymungus by mattymungus

thanks jules

Posted

• jules by jules

We really need these in the FAQ! Everyone's finding them. 😉

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

at the bottom of the image counting from the right, to the left of the 3rd and 4th to to bottom line there are linew coming up which peter out. Evidence for the "rocks in a moving ice sheet theory? NB there are spiders which cross the lines, think that must be significant in some way dont understand how spiders would cross these features if they are either dips or lumps

Posted

Sorry the image referred to above is this one http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/50e740ea5e2ed21240002f7f.jpg the same features are present in the image here as well. Anyone got an explanation for the very fine light coloured 'pathways' which are found on the images of this type of terrain (you'll need to zoom)

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

Have noticed that nearly all the tramlines ive seen run almost vertically, havent seen any that are nearly horizontal (thats if north is up).

Posted

I think that the orientation is all over the shop depending on where the satellite was going at the time. There are some about that are nearly horizontal but the are very pale colour wise. There seem to be 3 or 4 types with top bottom orientation, it may be that they all run the same way as they are all for the same sweep by the sat

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi!

wassock is right. The images you are looking at are not map-projected. North on this image is almost to the bottom.
    The spacecraft is on polar orbit, so it goes south-north-south and so on. Depending on the part of orbit (ascending or descending) when image was taken, north will appear top or bottom of the image. In addition we sometimes point the camera out of nadir, this will also change the orientation.

Anya

Posted

would the camera pointing out of nadir explain why this image has an angled look like your about to fly over it? ( tilt your head to the left)

APF0000eoz

Posted

ascending or descending in the orbit and camera angle wouldnt effect the look of any horizontal tramlines would it?, if anything wouldnt it make them more horizontal?. Just find it curious why there no horizontal tramlines.

Posted

I really do not know what you mean, I don't get any special feeling even when I tilt my head. But I went and checked if that image was taken off-nadir. It wasn't: the angle off-nadir is appr. 0.3 deg.

Anya

Posted

@Wounded Knee Horizontal (ish) tramlines here http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000002/discussions/DPF00006u5 I'v seen another couple of images wityh the lines at a similar angle but left down to right - those looked much more like the structure of the one on this page but wity very pale colour

Posted

Hi again,

The blog post about these are on, have a look.

Anya

Posted

• salt74 by salt74 in response to wassock's comment.

I have also seen the fine lines like pathways crossing all over in these pictures and similar ones. Anyone got any ideas?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to salt74's comment.

It's something in the ice layer that covers this whole area.

Anya

Posted