Planet Four Talk

What are those white lines in the surface indicate??

• athulvis by athulvis

What are those white lines in the surface indicate in the top right corner of the image?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi Athulvis. Good question. This image is from the floor of a quite large crater in the area where seasonal ice forms. It is not on the permanent polar ice cap. If you click on the HiRISE link under the image on the right side, and scroll down, at the bottom you can see the image strip shown where it crosses the crater floor. Scroll up again, and click on "RGB colour, non map projected" and you will get a long narrow image strip. Use the magnifier tool, and scroll down the image to the bottom third. You can identify your image by these distinctive wavy white lines. They are possibly wind eroded , and look like blown ridges, similar to snow drifts,orsand dunes. The light is coming from the lower right side, and so the top of them is catching the sun on their right sides. I hope this helps. Good to see you on the discussion boards~pete.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to athulvis's comment.

Hi Athulvis,

Apologies for the late reply. I think Pete's on to something. I think it could be dunes or yardangs.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted