Planet Four Talk

Wrinkle like ridges

• monalsingh by monalsingh

Looks a bit like the "wrinkle-like" ridges that are found on the surface of Mercury!

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi monalsingh. Because of the light direction on these clips from the Mars southern polar region our brains are often fooled into 'inverting' the image. These are not "ridges" but in fact are channels cut into the surface by the venting of subliming CO2 , so, a bit like small river valleys or canyons. We have nicknamed them "spiders", or "spider channels". Hope this is helpful! 😃 ~pete.

Posted

• monalsingh by monalsingh in response to p.titchin's comment.

OHH, thank you for your response! I was unsure as to what this "spider" like webs were! Thank you for clarifying things!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to monalsingh's comment.

Ahhh ... I seem to have duplicated Pete's reply on the 'Recents' page. Never mind.

Good to see you here monalsingh. Cheers, 😃

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi Kith. Whilst on this image, it is confusing that the stats below the image list the sub solar aziimuth as 282.743°: This would indicate the image lit from the top (just to rt of centre)., whilst we can see it is the usual lower right. On the HIRISE site stats, it is 48.6°, which would appear to be more the correct figure!! I have posted a coment on the 'help'board on this ~pete.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to monalsingh's comment.

Hi,

You can more about these spider-web like features, informally referred to as 'spiders', on our about page.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted