Planet Four Talk

Not Frost?

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

At first glance I thought 'frost patches', but the lower left and right corners of the image have the white bits on the sunlit side of the spider channels. The central and upper patches are a little more blue, so they might be frosty bits.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi Kith.. Well spotted!! On close look these assumed frost remains seem to be just outside the channels-- so maybe there is a small raised edge where the grust has 'heaved' with the frost in it's lee. Don't know, but sure looks like frost remains. I have noted this on many images after the equinox, but have no other answers to offer at present. By the by, on many of these images, the 'boulder tag' group have tagged them as boulders present, but I'm sure that what they are tagging as white boulders are just frost remains in hollows~pete.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

Frost sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

May well be. Without a 3D perspective and looking straight down, its difficult to judge 100% precisely. But I'm sure the #boulders tag represents not just boulders but frost hollows as well...

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to pete-j's comment.

Hi,

One of the reasons why CaSSIS is a stereo imager.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted