Planet Four Talk

Three Shades Of Brown

• Scobes by Scobes

Any ideas for why there is a change in colour from light on the right, darker in the middle to slightly lighter on the left?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi Scobes, yes! This is a common site in the Inca City region. What you are looking at is one of the many ridges in the region. This is the crest of the ridge which is lit by sunlight coming from the lower right, whilst the other side of the ridge line, to the left, is shadowed.
    If you click on the 'View HiRISE image' link under the image on the right side, you can have a look at the larger area from which this image is cropped, and see the extent of the ridges. The JPEG grayscale gives a good idea of the area. ~ I would try the jpeg images to start with, as the JP2's are big files!! Happy viewing, 😃 ~Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Scobes. An excellent answer from Pete so there's not much that I can add, except to say that these ridges are a great place to find boulders. You'll find lots of images of boulders on ridges (and elsewhere) on Pete's excellent discussion here.

For a 'tourist map' of Inca City you might like my article here. Cheers. 😉

Posted

• Scobes by Scobes

Hey p.titchin, thanks for the informative and thorough answer. I checked out the larger image. Interesting to now know about something called the Inca City region on Mars.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Scobes's comment.

Thanks Scobes. Inca city is my favourite area on the ice cap, outside of the chasmae, and I voted for it to be the area of special study for this period for P4. The geology is fascinating and bizarre. At first most of us were saying 'wow~ weird dunes~ but current views are that this area is the rim of an ancient impact crater, and after millenia of erosion old lava tubes have been left to form these weird shaped 'enclosures', and helps me understand the boulder distribution in the area. I just thrill to get access to this information and ponder on it. 😃 ~Pete

Posted