Planet Four Talk

Not Certain About This One : Three Fans, Seven Blotches, One 'Feature', Araneiforms, and a Hint of Blue Frost?

• msc386 by msc386

I really was not all that certain about this one while classifying the surface anomalies present in the image data. To the Extreme South and just
    slightly East of (Image) Center is a rather large fan that appears to have been cropped in-half by the Southern Border of the image. This fan also appears to be facing (weather-vaning) to the south as well. On the Extreme Western Border is another larger fan, which is slightly smaller than the
    one previously described, but still fairly large nonetheless, and weather-vaning to the West. To the East of this fan (and proximate to Image-Center) is a "medium -sized" blotch; and, on approximately the same line of latitude, is another blotch; albeit slightly smaller than the previous one. Just North of these two particular blotches are two smaller blotches (they're proximate and slightly North of Image-Center). Just North of the second blotch in this set is a set of three smaller blotches (at least, I think they're blotches) all "marching to the East", so to speak. Directly East of these three blotches and cropped by the Eastern Edge of this image is an interesting reddish-textured area that I chose to mark as a "Feature", although I have no idea as to
    what it is. Any thoughts on this?

Directly to the North of the last blotch in the "Set of Three" previously described is the seventh and final blotch that I found in this session. At least
    I thinks it's a blotch, although I must confess, I'm not entirely certain on this one. Again, I think I will need some guidance here. What do you think,
    "blotch", "fan", or "something else"?

Lastly, there is a very small fan to directly West of the "Set of Three". It's very small, and it is here that I am most uncertain. On the one hand, it seemed to have some of the characteristics of a "blotch", and on the other it looked very much like an incredibly small "fan". I finally decided it was a "fan", but it was by no means an easy decision.

Below is a Screen-Grab of the Classification Session for this image. I included it to help visualize what I described above :

enter image description here

I hope it is helpful. Also present in the image are some araneiform features, as well an ever so subtle hint of blue-ish frost hugging the borders of
    the surface features just described. It's possible that this could be a trick of light or an article from image-processing, but it does seem intriguing
    nonetheless.

My main concern, though, is did I do this correctly? Did I classify a "blotch" as a "fan", when it is in fact, a "blotch"? Over-all, this was a very interesting image, even though it lead to some head-scratching on my part.

Comments / Thoughts / Opinions? I could really use some help on this one.

Thank-you (in advance) for your time and consideration. It is deeply appreciated.

--msc386

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to msc386's comment.

Hi msc386,

This one is tough. I would have likely marked mostly the same expect I would probably mark the bottom large triangle as three separate blotches. It can be a bit subjective on number of sources and type. Don't worry too much, we have multiple people classify the same image and combine your markings to identify sources in the images. So if it should be more than one on the occasionally more difficult image, chances are the majority of the classifiers marked it that way and we'll pick it up.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted