Planet Four Talk

A Fan, A Blotch, Two 'Features', and Possible Blue Frost

• msc386 by msc386

There wasn't much in this image, really, but it was interesting enough. To the East and slightly South of image-center is a blotch. To the NorthWest of this is what appears to be a fan (although, I am not entirely certain on this one). SouthWest of this fan is a 'Feature', and SouthEast of that, is another 'Feature'.

Also present in the image is an ever so subtle hint of blue frost (I think). Then again, could this be an artifact from image processing? In some of the more recent images that I have classified there seemed to be a bluish coloring of the surface terrain that might be attributable to the presence of blue frost on the ground. The ambient lighting in this image makes it difficult to be certain, and it is highly probable that I could be wrong in this particular instance. While the possibility of blue frost certainly adds another layer of fascination to the image data, I certainly don't want to be seen as being "blue-frost crazy" either. 😃

Below is a screen-grab of the classification session for this image :

enter image description here

Did I do this right? And is the fan correctly classified as such, or have I erred here, and it turns out to actually be a blotch? It is important to me that I am classifying things correctly, so that I am not making extra work for someone else down the line.

Thank-you for your time and consideration, it is very much appreciated.

--msc386

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I'd say the top object is more fan than blotch, and the blotch definately a blotch, so I reckon you've got it right enough. The two 'Interesting' features are obviously interesting to you, so again you're right to mark them as such. Over time however, as you get more familiar with the spider channels you'll probably see that they're pretty 'normal' features so therefore become less interesting/unusual. Keep on keeping on msc. 😉

Posted