Planet Four Talk

An Interesting Image : Twelve Araneiform Features, Two Blotches and a Thin Layer of Blue Frost

• msc386 by msc386

This image is quite interesting; although there are no fans present in the image data, there are however, other surface anomalies worth noting. Located in the extreme NorthEast Quadrant of the image, there is a strange looking blotch possessing what appears to be a tail or flagellum.

This particular blotch is oriented NNW to SSE. SouthWest of this blotch, and near the center of the image is the second blotch, which appears

to be oriented NNW to SSE, just the like the first one previously described. Immediately South of the first blotch, is the first of twelve araneiform

features, which is right up against the cropped edge of the image.

The second araneiform feature is South and slightly to the West of the second blotch. The remaining ten araneiform features are to the West and
    slightly North of the second blotch. Given the amount of material deposited in the blotches, and the fact that both are similarly oriented, it would
    be reasonable to conclude that both blotches formed at approximately the same time; with very little (if any) surface wind at the time. The araneiform
    features on the other hand, may have formed at different times. The variable light contrast of those formations suggests that possibility.

Also of great interest in this image (and definitely worth noting) is the presence of what appears to be a thin (but subtle) layer of Blue Frost. It would
    be most accurate to describe this layer as a "dusting" of this material. However, it must be conceded that this phenomenon could be the result of a
    number of things such as : local time of day; the incident angle of the spacecraft when the image was taken; local atmospheric particulates; color
    artifacts from processing; and so on. The visual data in this image (and others) do not leave that impression. Based on what has been seen thus far,
    the overall impression is that this is an actual surface feature that is being produced by some kind of explainable phenomena.

Here is how the image was actually classified :

enter image description here

Discussion is invited.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to msc386's comment.

Hi msc, I am responding to your invitation to discuss, having seen your earlier posts, but I am not sure what to comment on. You always describe the images in great detail, as a given fact, so no discussion, I note that you have commented several times that blotches over the image are mostly 'blotches', or fans on the image are in the same direction, and infer that they must therefore occur at the same time, and you seem to attach great significance to this. If you want to look at a larger image over the Martian year, have a look at Wassock's 'Heart of the matter' thread ( Science board- HiRISE images).So, my offer to the thread is just that these images are only about 200 metres across, so it is a given that the venting we see is similarily affected, as is the 'climate' over these small areas . With regards to the 'blue', if you have accessed any of the 'blue' ice threads, discussions, and 'blogs', (just hit 'search' on the top bar) then you will see, that for all of us, the jury is most definately out, but there are many ideas in the process of being researched. Great to be able to discuss these things on the 'boards', but so much information is available on this great site from the last couple of years of us citizen scientists classifying and discussing images, (nearly 4½ million!!) that it is well worth exploring what has already been said. Of course, any addition to these theories will be eagerly awaited 😃 and if you can rule out any of the present ideas,~ equally, eagerly accepted 😃 Certainly, it would be nice to find an explanation for the blue we have seen so much more of this year! From a fellow P4 enthusiast~ Pete

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to p.titchin's comment.

Pete,
    Thank you for your remarks. I did not intent my words to be taken as fact. Far from it, actually. I was only reporting on what I see. If I have
    caused any consternation in the community, I apologize and defer to your better judgement. I have been studying Mars on my own for the
    better part of 5 years now, (working with another part of the HiRISE Program. I've been in the process of building some terrain models that I
    hope will be useful to all of us one day.) As for my ideas regarding the venting or the blue frost, none of them are any better than those already
    put out there by others, nor do I purport that my theories are established fact or supplant what anyone else has said. If anything I'm thinking
    out loud, and asking for input on my observations on these things. I'm still new at this particular endeavor, which is why I invite discussion.
    Somebody may have better ideas than myself, and there is always something to be learned from someone else. I wholeheartedly concur with
    what you said regarding the observed phenomena, that the jury is still out. I eagerly await the day when these things can be better explained.

I was simply sharing my thoughts on the possibilities here, but I am by no means an expert like yourselves. I am sorry if I gave that impression
    and caused anyone offense. I have been downloading the large Hi-Res JP2 Files at every opportunity afforded to me, and scouring them for
    the very surface features you have been suggesting, so as to better familiarize myself with the region we've been working on. What would be
    really be interesting is a Digital Elevation Model that I could use to turn into a 3D Terrain Model using software that I already have in hand. In
    the absence of such data, I have found something similar (after scouring the NASA.gov and USGS.gov web-sites) that would allow me to create
    a model using Hi-Resolution Texture Maps which are based on DTM's (Digital Terrain Models, which are NOT directly available to me for
    download to convert into a DEM File).

So there you have it. I am sorry if I have caused any confusion or consternation.

Respectfully,

MSC386

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to msc386's comment.

MSC, -no consternation, I just wanted to know what you were wanting comment on. we are all 'explorers' here, and it is what makes this site so good. I also wanted you to know just how much info is available on the site. I still would recommend a long look at Wassock's thread_ 'the heart of the matter' if you want to scratch your head over what is going on with sublimation of CO2 and vent and spider formation.! The best thing about these boards is that unless we ask the official experts on the project, we are anonomous contributers, and keep our expertise,( or lack of it) under cloaks, and so the discussions, and 'brain storming' is open to all without embarressment. It is a privelage to see these images, and discuss them! Welcome to the club!! 😃 ~ Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi msc. 'Thinking out loud' is quite acceptable here, I might even say it's welcome. As Pete says you've not caused any consternation or upset so feel free to wax lyrical if you feel like it. 😉

All of us will join in when we can, but again as Pete says you describe the images so well it's hard for us to add anything meaningful unless you raise questions that we can tackle in our own non-expert way. Good hunting. Cheers, Kith.

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to Kitharode's comment.

Kith,

Thank you, that makes me feel a little bit better. I apologize for being so thorough in my descriptions. I guess I can't help it. I'm only trying to
    to report on what I see, in the hopes that it will help others, and perhaps lead someone to an explanation of some of the phenomena we are
    seeing. I hope my including a screen shot of this last classification didn't cause any problems for anyone. I included it along with my post because
    I am still not sure if I am classifying things correctly, and was hoping someone would tell me if there were any errors in that particular session.
    I'm still new to this, and I want to make sure I do things right so that we can save time and resources. For me, the main thing is that this really is
    alot of fun. I hope others here feel the same way. I just hope and pray that MRO and HIRISE will continue to operate smoothly for many years to
    come. It really is one of the most valuable scientific assets we have at Mars, in addition to those we have on the surface.

Thank-you in advance for taking the time to read my posts. It is very much appreciated. And yes, please feel free to comment on my future
    classifications, no matter how well I describe them. Your feedback is very important to me; as it helps me to improve the classification work
    I
    submit to you.

Respectfully,

--MSC386

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to msc386's comment.

Your interest and enthusiasm is most welcome, so relax and keep on doing your own thing. My only gentle criticism (which you can ignore if you want) is that you are a little too keen on using the 'Interesting' star tool. I think the aim of that tool is to mark very unusual/rare objects that are really striking. Perhaps a boulder with a boulder on top of it, or maybe a spider wearing sunglasses. (OK, that last one was a joke). But you get the idea 😉

As to whether your inclusion of a screenshot was problemmatic, I can put your mind completely at rest. Have a quick visit HERE. Now what do you think? 😉

In that discussion, the "object much featured here" is part way down the image, where the 'white ribbon' effect comes into view. It a round object, right of centre, that was nicknamed the Space Chimney. This was definately an Interesting object and even got it's own blog post - here. Cheers.

Posted