Planet Four Talk

Araneiform Features, Blotches, and Blue Frost; But No Fans

• msc386 by msc386

This is an interesting image, although admittedly, it was not all that easy to classify at first. There are three blotches present in the image
    data. The first is North and East (from image center) sitting right near the eastern-most edge of the image where it appears to be cropped. The second blotch is to the South-West of the first one. The third and final blotch is to the North and West of the second blotch. It appears to the sitting among a small collection of araneiform features. One is directly East of it, the other West, with two more directly South-West of the blotch's position.

The most noticeable surface anomaly present in the image data would be the araneiform features; the most prominent collection of which is located just North of the image-center. To the extreme South-West, where the image is cropped, there is what appears to be a large, dark, araneiform feature;
    although it could just as easily be a blotch.

The absence of fans in this image, along with the dark contrast of the material present in the araneiforms and the blotches, would suggest that there
    was little to no surface wind that the time of their formation. There is no weather-vaning of any kind that can be seen here. There also appears to be a
    barely distinguishable layer of Blue Frost among both Araneiforms and the Blotches. It is difficult to see at first, but it is there.

Now, this could be an artifact from the image processing, but I get the impression that this is NOT so. The image data would seem to suggest that
    this is an actual surface phenomenon. What is also striking about the image itself, is that the contrast of the features, combined with the subtle
    layer of the blue frost, lends an almost "3D" appearance to the image.

Comment is invited.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi msc. I get what you're saying about the 3D effect. It certainly is a great image, with a definate hint of blue.

The 3 blotches you mention are easily recognised, but I think I'd have marked the blotchy spiders above centre of image as well. That's not to say you got it wrong, more to show how different eyes intepret the images differently. 😉

From a wind point of view Inca City is really interesting. I'm not saying there isn't wind in the area, but you rarely if ever get to see large fans in the area. In the main (sez me) the fans are generally thin and relatively short. You'll also notice on the HiRise images that many/most of the fans point to the floor of the Inca City zones, which suggests that they follow the slope of the ridges rather than the direction of the wind.

Cheers, Kith

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to Kitharode's comment.

I was looking at some downloaded imagery yesterday that demonstrated exactly that. The fans (and blotches) seem to be following terrain contours more than the wind, although, it is still a factor, I think. Nonetheless, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. Thanks for taking the time to help, it is deeply appreciated.

--MSC386

Posted