Planet Four Talk

Not Sure About This Image

• msc386 by msc386

I am not quite sure what to make about this image. I found 14 'Features', but no 'Blotches' or 'Fans'. There appear to be what
    look like araneiform features near the bottom of the image, but again, it's difficult to say for certain what these terrain-features
    really are. The other features (along the top and middle of the image) are equally interesting, but I am not quite certain how they
    actually should have been classified either. Nonetheless, I find the image quite fascinating despite my ignorance regarding the
    features mentioned. Discussion is welcome.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

I wouldn't have mark anything in this image as a blotch or a fan other than maybe the small dark path in the lower right.

The other features might be araneiforms. They come in all different shapes and structures. You can see some more examples here. It's something we would like to do with the project eventually is to show the cutouts and ask people to characterize the different types of araneiforms so we can look and frequency and location on the South Pole.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to msc386's comment.

Hi MSC, If you look closely, there are about half a dozen very small 'blotches' towards the lower right corner of the image from small venting episodes. There are some 'spider like' channels near the lower edge, the clearest in the bottom left corner. These incomplete 'spiders' are often just referred to as spider channels, or spider legs.Those in the top half of the image are also 'spiders', but are more just the'body' without developed 'legs', and are often called 'bugs', as they can resemble bed bugs more than spiders (cimexiform! 😃 ) If you click on the HiRISE link at the bottom right of the image, and view the JPEG images, you can see the wider area from which this image is clipped, and the more obvious 'spiders' and 'bugs' in the surrounding landscape.Hope this is of some help. ~ Pete

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to p.titchin's comment.

Guys,
    Thanks or the advice, I really do appreciate it. I'm still kind of new to this, but I think I'm steadily climbing up the Learning Curve here.
    I'll have to admit that some of the really small features are difficult to make out, despite the corrective lenses I wear. (I have three different
    prescriptions; two pairs of glasses. One pair is a set of bifocals for driving and getting around, and the other pair is a single prescription
    specifically designed for using the computer -- which I do alot. Overall, I think I do all right despite the visual impediments. Even so, please
    let me know if any of my classifications are way off. Right now, I think I'm doing okay and having a lot fun doing it. Thanks for letting me
    participate in this project.) Well, back to Exploring Mars... Thanks for taking the time out to share some helpful hints on classifying -- I'll make
    good use of them.

--MSC386

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to mschwamb's comment.

Wow! Those images are really interesting. It's almost as good as being there... Almost... I don't know about you,
    but I think it would be quite an experience to be standing on the surface of Mars (in a pressure suit of course). I think
    the two most interesting places I would like to be would be Ithaca, and Baetis Mensa, just North of Valles Marineris.
    Believe it or not, but I've been studying that region for the past five years, after NASA graciously accepted the
    coordinates I proposed to be imaged by HiRISE back in 2008. The images returned 6 months later were stunning!
    I didn't think they would accept my proposal, but they did, and they got me images of areas on the surface that I asked for
    and then some. Since then, I've been doing my own image processing and analysis, and I should be (hopefully) sharing
    my results soon. Currently I've been working on doing some 3D modeling of the terrain imaged, and that's been taking
    some time because I want to make sure I get everything right before I submit it. I just hope my data will be helpful to others.

Perhaps you would like to review it sometime before I submit it? Your thoughts (as well as those of the rest of the team) would
    be most welcome.

--MSC386

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to msc386's comment.

It'd have to be Inca City for me if I was on Mars. Even though I'm a bit too old for it, the idea of skateboarding up and down the ridges does sound like a fun thing to try out. 😃

Well done getting the Nasa image. Good luck with your own image work. Cheers, Kith.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to msc386's comment.

For me, the chasmae, looking up at those exposed layered deposits- WOW!,( but for sure, in a pressure suit! 😃 ~Pete

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

I would have marked these as small blotches, so 3 or 4 blotches.

Posted