Planet Four Talk

Very Interesting Image

• msc386 by msc386

This is by far the most interesting image I have worked on yet. From what I can tell, there are twenty (20) fans, one (1) blotch, and five (5) features. The fans are all weather-vaning in the same direction (along with the blotch). Based on the amount of material deposited, I would have to conclude that the fans and the blotch formed at approximately the same time. What strikes me most about this image are the colors, brightness, and contrast. This is probably due to the lighting conditions at the time the image was acquired by the spacecraft, I suppose. It has a quality and texture that gives it an almost "3D" appearance. (At least to me, anyways.) All I know is that I really like this image for some reason. Comment is invited.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to msc386's comment.

Hi msc. Good find.These blue frost images from the Ithaca region are often stunning. Click on this link for one of my favourites, APF0000wzs . They are often so geometrical. ~ Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to msc386's comment.

Hi. You're not wrong when you say this is an interesting image. Also quite beautiful I think. Yes, the black and blue fans do create a kind of 3D effect and this certainly adds to the interest.

The image is from the Ithaca region and it's a place that has created quite a lot of discussion here on Talk. There's a really interesting article on the P4 Blog about the blue 'frost fans' here: http://blog.planetfour.org/2014/09/10/a-summary-of-a-p4-summer/

Good hunting. Cheers, Kitharode.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I wonder if we've featured this as a #dailyzoo yet? It definitely qualifies!

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to DZM's comment.

Sorry DZM, can't get your link to work.I.m sure others have got more images, but apart from my 'favourites' and other collections, click on my profile, and 'blue frost' collection. There are over 200 images there, Some are just of personal scientific interest to me, but many are just stunning images I have collected.Enjoy! As I said, I.m sure others have collected more, ~Pete.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Pete on my tab clicking tge link gives a white page, which you can scroll up to find the stuff

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to p.titchin's comment.

Oh my, yes -- you're quite right. The image in APF0000wzs is quite stunning. Thank-you for sharing it with me. I hope to encounter more of these types of images in the future. They're a lot of fun to work on.

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to DZM's comment.

It would be great to see this image posted in the "Daily Zoo". How do we make that happen?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to msc386's comment.

Hi,

Great question. We had a blog post recently on that very subject. You can find it here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

And I have just gone ahead and nominated it!

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to wassock's comment.

When I click DZM's # dailyzoo link it takes me to the 'Search' page and shows two images, neither of which are the image in question (?)

Did notice the nomination in 'Recents' though.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Kitharode's comment.

The Talk search feature is a bit odd like that. I hear it's something that will be made better in the new Zooniverse wide Talk that the Zooniverse is developing.

As long the hashtag is visible, it is in the Planet Four Talk database with that label and Grant should be able to see it got nominated for the Daily Zooniverse.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I promise that the Search and hashtagging fixes in the next generation of Talk are a huge priority for the team! 😃

Posted

• msc386 by msc386 in response to DZM's comment.

That's great! Thank-you!!

Posted