Planet Four Talk

Two Fans Facing in Opposite Directions

• msc386 by msc386

In this image, bottom; slightly left of center, there are two small fans that have weather-vaned in exactly opposite directions. Or it at least appears
    that way. Could this be due to possible wind sheer? Off to the right, on the bottom of the image is an interesting feature. It was cropped out of the
    image, it could a third fan or possible blotch. Since there is not enough of it to see, it was marked as an "Interesting Feature".

Note how dark the deposited material is. Any other thoughts or suggestions on this image?

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi msc, as on your other posts, have a look at the HiRISE images for the small image we mark. It's a whole new world! It really helps to see the larger area your image is taken from. Welcome to the discussion boards!. ~Pete

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to msc386's comment.

It could be the wind changing during the outgassing or at different outgassing events the wind was blowing in two directions. These are things we are trying to learn by having these directions, shapes, and locations of fans and bltoches.

Instead of marking the corner dark features as an interesting feature do try and mark it with a fan or a blotch. You can drag the marker outside the box and leave just part of to cover the feature.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• msc386 by msc386

Thanks, Meg; I didn't know I could do that. I'm still new at this, Although I did submit coordinates to HiRISE 5 years, and they were actually accepted and the spacecraft took imagery of the area I specified!! It was very cool. 😃 Thanks for the help.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to msc386's comment.

Newbies more than welcome. Welcome to Planet Four. Feel free to ask more questions, that's what Talk is for. We've got great moderators and veteran volunteers willing to answer your questions as well. Very cool to hear about the HiWish being granted.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted