Planet Four Talk

Fans or Blotches?

• EA2014 by EA2014

APF00012wl ... admittedly still very much a novice, I've confused myself. While my 1st reaction was 'fan, of course' i.e. teardrop shape (& the windblown material reinforces the shape) ... BUT in most cases, the 'point of the teardrop' appears to be linear venting and small features within each 'fan' seem to have seperate sources of venting, althogether. ......... Any comments would be greatly appreciated 😃 ! ~Elizabeth

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Is that the right image? Not what I was expecting the image to look like. That pic looks to me more like theres some sort of viscous flow thing going on with the dark dust filling deperessions. Like treacle oozing out it how I tend to visualise these and I' d probably blotch mark them.

This is more what I was expecting APF00005ji

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014

.... you're fast responding, wassock - thanks! Yes - the flow does look very viscous (I learned a new word 😃 'treacle' .... being a 'yank' from the US, our analogy would be 'molasses'... think I like yours better!). I did use the blotch tool. Since you mentioned APF00005ji, I looked at it carefully and would have the same question (although my temptation would be to use both the fan & the blotch tool). Would you like to comment on that too? ......I'm here to learn (& contribute)!

Posted

Where the fans are coming from tge cracks, along straight lines, I tend to place lots of small fans, often you can make out lots of individual fans, some times it all blurs into one

Posted

• EA2014 by EA2014 in response to wassock's comment.

Thanks. Any thoughts on what the 'treacle ooze' is comprised of - i.e. same as 'fans & blotches' (I assume surface material & CO2 ice) but maybe in different ratios? ...or likely something different? Has it been seen other than in Inca City?
    ~Elizabeth

Posted

I'm not saying that whats going on actually has any thing to do with treacle, just that if I visualise that way I can see how things might work for these very dark marks which appear to fill depressions.

Posted