Planet Four Talk

Evolution again?

• wassock by wassock moderator

So on the high rise image (RGB non map) we have lace at the top which by stages becomes 'proper spiders' which become linked, the fade away to leave a bunch of isolated bugs. The Spiders seem to be overlaying the lace almost but the bugs are on clear ground.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to wassock's comment.

I'm glad someone picked up on this strip. It seems important to me, as a whole range of evolving channels is shown. The spider range of evolution is 'classic', but the immediate change to the isolated and more diffuse erosion channels which I am calling 'cimexiform' spiders, and Kith is more economically calling 'mites is dramatic. I mark images, and comment on differences, and try to think laterally to come up with ideas, but it is down to you hot guys to guide us on. Thanks for all your help and ideas.
    ~Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hahaha ... So hot we haven't answered a single question we've asked, or solved a single problem raised. But hey, I'm gonna take it that you include me in the 'hot zone' and take it as a compliment. ** 😃 **

If the spiders grow, and that's not yet confirmed, then they evolve. If they evolve at the expense of the landscape, then we have degradation of the landscape. If either or both of these occur we have change.

Wassock's 'Evolution or Degradation' discussion a while back brought forth some support for the idea that the top of the image in that discussion was doing what it did, with the bottom of the image doing what it did. In short, both areas were changing, but not one into the other. So I'd say yes to evolution, yes to degradation, and a big yes for ongoing change.

The HiRise image we're discussing now has a few items of note: The lace terrain at the top of the image is not the same as the lace at the bottom. At top the lace is fairly homogenous and 'random' whilst at the bottom it is far more chunky and 'lined up', especially in the bodies of the spiders.

The 'classic' spiders dominate the areas where there are definate undulations (judging from the sunlight) and I would suggest that the denser the undulations the denser the spiders. I'd even suggest that the 'long axis' of spiders follow the line of undulation - if that makes sense. 😉

The bugs dominate smoother ground, but not all of it. In fact from what we can see they prefer some small undulation in the ground and shy away from the 'perfectly' flat land.

So my view of this image would be that the areas of spiders may well get more spidery, the lace terrain may well extend its territory, the bugs may become more prolific, but they will only do so on and in their alloted areas. This in turn suggests that the geology (or areology) of each area will have a significant impact on what can and cannot form there.

And all of the above suggests that it's time for a brew and a sit down !! 😉

Posted