Planet Four Talk

Central Structure

• jb1995 by jb1995

There is a 3/4 circle roughly central in this shot.
    Any clues as to what it might be?
    Almost looks like an impact has pushed a horseshoe shape crater up.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to jb1995's comment.

Well spotted jb1995. That's quite a mysterious little horseshoe you have there. With a bit of luck JellyMonster will give your image a tweek and a rotation which might help us.

Right now I've no idea what it is or how it formed.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Thanks for the feedback, I only just noticed it to be honest, was just about to click finish and saw it out of the corner of my eye.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

My pleasure. Have you visited the full HiRise image? It's a right mess!! 😉 Haven't found your horseshoe in there yet, but it'll be in there somewhere.

There are lots of twists and turns in the area, but your horseshoe does seem to be different somehow.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Not seen it as yet, is it just a google job?

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Found it

Posted

Easier than that now, thanks to the tech team.

Click your image above to get to the 'image page'. Just underneath the image there is the link to the HiRise Catalogue page for the image. Scroll down to the 'Image Products' box for images (RGB non-map projected is good).

The 'Observation Toolbox' is brilliant also. Go here for more info: http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000009/discussions/DPF0000e8z

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

About a quarter of the way in from the left, and about a third of the way up. I think that could be it looking at the patterns of valleys and the odd little circular bit. (On the HiRise image)

Posted

Well done. All you need to do now is work out what going on !! ** 😛 **

Posted

...and a bit of cross chat posting thrown in too... Hahaha.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Haha, yeah, why do I doubt I'll manage that 😃
    It almost looks like a meteor strike at a shallow angle, maybe pushing a horseshoe shaped crater up?
    Although thinking about it, that would show the other way wouldn't it, valleys as ridges and ridges as valleys and all that.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Haha, no worries, it's all useful

Posted

Just to be clear, jb. You know that light is coming in from the bottom right and that we are looking at 'spider channels' carved into the surface, yes? So the outer 'edge' of the horseshoe is a curved channel which continues to snake its way towards bottom left (on the left of the shoe).

Forgive me if you know all that - I don't know how much you know yet. 😉

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Yep, that's what I mean in the comment above. I'm still a bit of a novice at this but yeah, I was thinking it cant be ridges.
    I wonder if the rock structure underneath changes? might cause different patterns to be formed as the channels are carved out. It's the double ring sort of structure that has me stumped to be honest.

Posted

The rock structure is changed (by seasonal processes scraping the channels) but I'm not sure it's changing. There might be 'stuff' embedded within it that produces 'dense spots' in the area. Elsewhere (somewhere) we did discuss a "path of least resistance" idea for spider leg formation.

Maybe some of the others will add better ideas than mine. Hope to speak with you again. Food next ... Cheers.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for all your help

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Kitharode asked me to do this. Image has been spun through 180 and enlarged a little.

enter image description here

Posted

Thanks JM. That takes some of the mystery out of the image. Just a curved channel methinks.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Thanks JM,
    Doesn't look nearly as exciting up close haha.
    Curved channels and bits of rocks in there by the looks of it.

Posted

Although, sadly, it's not a meteor strike or other such exotic feature, it's still a complex image. Always more questions than answers.

Posted

• jb1995 by jb1995

Yep, If only we could get up there and have a poke around the place. 😛

Posted