Planet Four Talk

Crayon Glitch? - I Think Not.

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Top right hand corner. Glitch or rustgrust?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

There are bits all over so not a glitch? Look around the fan far left

Posted

And here - upper left edge http://www.planetfour.org/subjects/standard/5143480eea305267e900804d.jpg ??

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Kitharode's comment.

I think it is a very sophisticated glitch myself.

Posted

When we first met the crayon and chalk glitches I became convinced that they probably were glitches, but that still remains unconfirmed (it's all guesswork). These new images, I feel, show something else. Let me change the question:

Let us agree for now that the images above most probably show reddish glitch marks, but it is not impossible that they are something else, eg., rustgrust blobs. Let us also agree that we are not in a position to give a definitive answer. How will the science team be able to differentiate between these two possibilities?

Will it be some computer wizardry do you think, or will there be other readings/measurements that could confirm one or the other?

Posted

Will it be some computer wizardry do you think, or will there be other readings/measurements that could confirm one or the other?

Probably the latter as splitting the channels to RGB wasn't conclusive. All of these so called 'crayon' glitches run vertically in a straight line and parallel to edge of the image. You never see diagonal ones or curved for that matter.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Thanks JM. Perhaps a couple or three passes over the same area would give us a clue. It would be unlikely (I'm guessing) that the exact same glitch would occur on muliple images?

The vertical line effect, in the 'old' images were what convinced me to lean towards glitch, but these new images are not so vertical, not so lengthy, and they do not appear to me to be particularly pixely. There seem to be more 'comma's' and dashes involved rather than pixel shaped glitches.

I'm not giving up on rustgrust yet 😉

Posted

It would be unlikely (I'm guessing) that the exact same glitch would occur on multiple images?

Yes you're right... try APF0001mdv or APF0001mev (more obvious). Here's another that might favour your theory (but I still see it as a vertical line to about halfway)... APF0001mlv.

Posted

Have you noticed the blue tinged areas associated with the red in these images. How's that work?

Posted

Yes I did. Still a dead straight line though (parallel to the image sides), albeit bitty. Here's a couple more examples... APF0001mbd and APF0001mbq.

Posted