Planet Four Talk

Spiders Crossing

• wassock by wassock moderator

3 instances of spider channels cutting across other channels. How's that work?

enter image description here

Posted

• jshoe by jshoe

Wassock: Looks to me like the thinner, straighter tracks in each case are actually cracks in the ice sheet that is covering everything and has 'chosen to' crack mostly N/S in this image. The sunbeams project both a bright streak and a shadow on the surface below as they pass through the crack, simulating a second channel which actually is not there, That's my interpretation, (but what do I know?); see if it works for you. I've chased fine cracks around in many other images where they were easier to see. You've got good eyes to find them in this one my friend. P.S. I just tried to simulate this using a broken ice cube sitting on the table top. Although I could not produce the cracks, (the ice always shattered under my meat pounder), I did see reflections and shadows from the edges projected on the table top, that make me think a simulation with ice or cracked glass could be made to reproduce the effect.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Well done jshoe for taking a practical approach and, right or wrong, your interpretation is a good one. Watch your finders with that meat pounder. ** 😛 **

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Not sure the very fine 'hair' like cracks have shadows, these do indicating they have some depth

Posted