Planet Four Talk

Angular hill

• wassock by wassock moderator

On the left edge just shy of half way up there's a bright feature which looks like a hill with well defined ridges.

Are the apparent rolling hillsides real or just the result of some creative shading?

Posted

Detail - looks like a limpet

enter image description here

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Looks to me like a six-sided marquee. Can't make it a depression, must be raised. The backgrounds a mess so no comment.

Posted

This is the same thing from the HiRise image

And looking around there seem to be more of them. They look like spoil heaps, giant limpets or dunes but I would have thought that wind blown dunes ought not to be round? These are southern spring, map orientated so sun is at the top somewhere

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Wassock, where did you find these black and white images? I used the HiRISE link at the bottom of the image but the links were different to those above.

Posted

Perhaps the general landscape has been weathered/eroded away and these objects remain because they're made of tougher material. Maybe like the tops of ancient magma intrusions in the general bedrock, for example.

Might they be 'mega-boulders'? There seem to be many smaller boulders in the vicinity, as well as a few mid-sized one. Are most boulders domed/marquee shaped objects rather than the general (more spherical) boulder shape that I had imagined boulders to be?

Great finds. Mystery to me.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to JellyMonster's comment.

These come from the JP2 download grey scale image. To find where they are look at the colour non map jpg first and scan down the left. There are 2 glitch bars ant the original hill is a bit down and right of the second. NB you have to download the hiview software to look at jp2

NB these are not huge maybe only meters or tens of meters across

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Okay thanks. I normally just look at the JPEG images as they open instantly. Those JP2 files are huge!

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to Kitharode's comment.

Given that the main erosion effect (spiders apart) seems to be the wind there would need to be a very even handed sharing out of wind direction to keep them symmetrical. Also there's that 'hexagonal-ish' shape going on again at the base- - same thing for the rim of the space chimney. Are we making a molehill from a rabbit hole?

Posted

If it is a rabbit hole, then it's probably a white rabbit in a hat and in a hurry 😉

I'm wondering why you think the area is wind-blown. I don't really see that.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to Kitharode's comment.

Just saying that I'm not sure what other process is causing erosion other than wind and may be a bit o freeze thaw

Posted

One more for the collection: http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/5143480dea305267e9005f5d.jpg (looks big).

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Kith and Wssock, a bit late on this thread, but I read a short review lead by T.C. Orloff at lunar and planetary Conference 2010, and followed to Icarus 174, (336-359) by N. Mangold., on the way they reckon boulders form, and the polygonal shapes do seem to have a reason to form that way. The article in Icarus has loads of backup threads to follow. No proof, but the ideas seem ok. I'm trying to do some chasing on this, as Kith knows. Ill post any thing of note, as these sort of images grip the mind and keep us citizens classifying. That next million done is getting closer. 😃

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to p.titchin's comment.

Do you have a link to any of the above? Sounds like interesting reading...

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to Kitharode's comment.

Yo should have an Email attachment from me on the short 2010 resume.~Pete

Posted

Cheers. It's just arrived. 😃

Posted