Planet Four Talk

White mini fans or pockets of ice?

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Well? I thought they were fires at first 😃. Image spun through180.

![Revised] (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bibuv92yrpbeagx/R-5143480eea305267e90070c6 (1).jpg)

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Discovering fires on Mars will probably get you a Nobel Prize; discovering white fans probably gets you a PhD. 😉

In your rotated image I get a strong impression of 'slump' as I move from the 'fires' top right, through the polygons becoming smaller on the 'down slope', with a more granular appearance on the 'up slope'.

Any idea of latitude of image?

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Any idea of latitude of image?

No sorry. How would this help?

Note - I over did it on the contrast/brightness settings so I have replaced it with a better one.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Here's the original image the cutout is derived from.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Thanks Meg. Good find. My idea of 'slump' wasn't too daft looking at that, but I'm thinking more wavy/rippled now. Perhaps something to do with 'polar layered deposits' area?

JM. Latitude and time of year are helping me build a 'bigger picture' of the southern region. I'm trying to get a feel for what lives where, or what type of landscape dominates which areas. So with Meg's image, I can see from the info box that we're very near the pole (-85deg) in southern summer, hence I'm better off, I think, imagining layered terrain and perhaps katabatic winds rather than 'classic spiders and vents'. Just my way of working I guess.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

This is the same sort of area with fans attached http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_003453_0945

Looking at the Greyscale image - The broad fans all seem to be aligned pretty much with the edges of the image if you look at the top right corner to my mind the ground appears to slope away to the top right. The broad fans here still hold the same orientation as for the rest of the area, but in between there are much smaller narrow fans which seen to be aligned with the apparent lie of the land.

enter image description here

Posted