Planet Four Talk

Round feature

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Any ideas on the round feature, bottom right ?

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Hi ElizabethB, the image warrants further investigation. It appears to be a raised area?

Posted

I haven't seen anything like this before , here!
    Really curious what it might be.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Interesting, not anything I've seen before, been a few new things lately has a new batch of images been put up?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Likewise, not seen this type of thing before. Definately raised for me. Wassock might be right about new images being up. Anybody else see a 'dry ditch' around it? Will it turn out to be a round object or a sticky-out blob from something else? Good find ElizabethB.

Posted

A quote from the blog
    "You have been analyzing images from the second and third spring seasons observed by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. We will have images from the first spring ready to go soon, and those from year 4 in another month or two."

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Hadn't noticed the boulders during the rounders game. Might your image be related to these?

http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/50e73d085e2ed21240000f71.jpg

http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/50e73ce15e2ed21240000dec.jpg

Still trying to find the article that mentions 'spiders like forming on mounds' or something similar.....

Posted

Ooh, tx !
    They look vaguely similar (round thingy in the bottom right corner), but I am way out of my depth here !

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Sounds unlikely to me. I've been told there's no liquid on Mars. Strange that, because there's loads of fish around here - flounders mostly !! (I drowned months ago) 😛

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to ElisabethB's comment.

We shouldn't be showing season 1 yet, but this might be a season1 image, It's not in my list of season 2 and season 3 so I'm checking with the development team to see if that's the case.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Tx Meg !

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Meg, there are a lot of other images that are similar. This one looks as though it will join up with it, APF0000xc4. Here's another... APF0000xc9 and possibly this, APF0000xbk?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to JellyMonster's comment.

You're right JM, they might well join up. If they do, I don't see it being a round object anymore. Might even cover a large area. Do you see a 'ditch' around the edge, as I do?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Your 'crater'/depression (top right in your first image) is definately round though.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Kitharode's comment.

I see the ditch on the original image but not after rotation.

I don't see it being a round object anymore. Might even cover a large area.

It looks that way. It's funny how we can sometimes jump to conclusions (it's all to do with the brain) 😃.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

Just wanted to get back to you. Yes this is a year 1 image. They were accidentally made live when uploaded. The plan was to mark them as classifiable in the database once we were done with season 2 and season 3. We're not done with season 2 and 3 yet so we'll be making higher priority season 2 and season 3 to finish it off.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted