Planet Four Talk

Two Tone

• Angelyarn by Angelyarn

Is this a shadow or a change in the soil?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Angelyarn. I'm pretty sure it's not a shadow. To me this is obviously a meeting of different terrain - maybe it's soil, or perhaps ice-cover, or maybe the rocky surface itself.

Here's a similar image http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/50e73b565e2ed211dc00040e.jpg

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi Kitharode I think it's just part of a really big fan system - have a look at this one

In the twotone image the underlying terrain looks to be the same in both halves other than for colour

Posted

Well that didn't work - you'll have to take the url and go look at it off page http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/PSP/ORB_009600_009699/PSP_009655_2620/PSP_009655_2620_MIRB.browse.jpg

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to wassock's comment.

Hi wassock. You had me going with your first image - thought it was going on forever!! Your second image is great. Where'd you find that, and is it in PlanetFour's area of study?

You could well be right about the two-tone image being part of a big fan system and that thought had crossed my mind. But I'm not convinced that the underlying terrain is identical in both 'halves'. In Angelyarn's image I see more 'crazy-paving' effect on the left, more 'pebbly' on the right. I'm sure that the infamous grust is involved, but I'm not yet convinced its 'fanning' out dust. As with many of these images, it would be very informative if we could zoom out a little to see the immediate surroundings. We'll get it one day, I'm sure.

PS to Angleyarn: 'Grust' is our word for the gas and dust mixture that forms the fans and blotches.

PS to wassock: Wonder what's happened to Pingo and the gang?

Posted

Trim the url for the image back to the root for the source of the pic and lots more like.
    Think some people have had to apply themselves to their studies

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to Angelyarn's comment.

Hi Angelyarn!

You have got a frame from this location IC area
    The separation of the terrain you see is indeed a shadow (if you are thinking about the brightness and color differences) but it is not that simple. Because insolation at this time plays major role here, more shadowed surfaces develop different to more illuminated. Shadowed areas will have more ice cover, illuminated - less. Also wind blows around "grust" and re-distributes it over hills and troughs.

Posted