Planet Four Talk

Wow is this evidence ??

• rowbumby by rowbumby

Iv done alot of images but not come across 1 like this, could it be evidence of a old sea " Shorelines ". on mars ????

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

It could well be, but it reminds me more of cooled volcanic lava flow. I've always wanted to go see a relatively safe volcano up close when lava is creeping out of it.

enter image description here

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby

Oh yes it could be ''Pahoehoe textures'' as Mars is the home of the largest known volcano in the solar system, Olympus Mons, which towers over Mars' western hemisphere. At 16 miles (25 km) high, it is about three times as tall as Mount Everest’ But this is on the western hemisphere and we are doing Southern polar areas ''pahoehoe'' form when lava flows form a thin skin that is pushed into the folds of hotter, faster moving lava below the surface, It tends to occur when the volumetric flow rate of the lava is low so the flow can “heal” small fractures in the surface skin, As the lava cools it thickens and the surface textures change. Slabby pahoehoe is composted of jumbled slabs of broken pahoehoe crust. Further cooling results in shelly pahoehoe, which forms when gas-rich lavas contain blisters and thin crusts. Further cooling results in a thick pasty lava with spiny pahoehoe surface textures formed from burst gas bubbles. Even tho we are doing the Southern polar areas im not dismissing that this could be cooled volcanic lava flow,weather its lava flow or shoreline or something else its a great find 😉

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar in response to rowbumby's comment.

I've seen at least 3 similar images which I have put in this thread:

http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000002/discussions/DPF00009rc

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Also discussed here: http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000002/discussions/DPF00009es?page=6&comment_id=5109115395ad7f750f000072

The last three posts at bottom of page 5 and onto page 6.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

When I look at this, enter image description here

........I can't help but see this. Anyone else? enter image description here

Is that the genesis of this?? enter image description here

Feel free to peel this like a bad potato 😉

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to AUricle's comment.

Rather than peel it, I'd roast it and make it really hot - Feels like you've got your teeth into it anyway.

For myself, I'd say images 1 & 2 were the 'same thing', but probably at different seasons. Whatever goes on, and in whatever order, it seems to me they are totally related - one is building the other. The third image does give me an impression of 'relationship', so you're not alone, but you'll need to be convincing in your discription of how we get from 1 & 2 into number 3. Being a believer in process and change, it won't take too much to convince me.

Other than using them for jokes I've not gotten into yardangs yet, but some discussions revolve around 'wind-waves / katabatic stuff. You'd have to check though. Good project - I'm following.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

There is a lot of this around, try changing the last letter of the url by a letter and repeat

Posted

I could see this as a genesis: http://planetfour.org/subjects/standard/50e73f645e2ed21240002398.jpg

Any good?

Posted

APF0000e8c there is also a lot of this sort of terrain in the same area (on the basis the the ref no.s are not too dissimilar)

Posted

Wassock's last image must be a definate for your collection. It would also fit well in my 'where landscapes meet' collection too. I'm always struck with a feeling of conflict, formation, and evolution even in such a small collection as mine. Your yardang territory is gonna 'clash' with something around the edges. If you get a chance to find these meeting places I'd recommend you check them out. I'm glad I did for my spiders and boulders ideas.

Posted

APF0000b01 APF0000e8o APF0000eki more

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to wassock's comment.

try changing the last letter of the url by a letter and repeat

Wassock, that's the best bit of advice I've had, thanks! Now I can narrow down my search for stuff.

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to wassock's comment.

Hey Wassock, I like your idea about changing the last letter, & it does give you similar neighbouring images. Any idea on how to home in on the exact neighbouring top/bottom/left/right images though? That would be well handy because a couple of images I have seen have a nice feature right on an edge. 😦

Posted

No not figured it out yet, need to find a couple that fit together to try and work the code. If you have a look at the "and then there were 3" thread there are 3 time separated images of the same area which may help in finding similar repeat views elsewhere

Posted