Planet Four Talk

#LIQUID

• eagiles by eagiles

i can not think of any other explanation as to why the crevasses are filled in such a way, other than liquid seeping out of fine fault line and flooding the crevasses to form the patterns in this image, i would love to hear of other explanations.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Conventional thinking is that these are the same thing as the fans, just coming out of a linear crack rather than a point source

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to eagiles's comment.

Ed,
    Here's a little possible 'why' to go along with wassocks 'what'.

Perhaps local gas pressure build up under the CO2 icepack causes the sheet to 'heave' and crack releasing dust and gas along the length of the #fracture,#fissure,#crack ??

Or maybe a violent eruption of gas nearby causes a sort of "shockwave" which in turn creates the cracking??

Or instead of a 'heave', perhaps a quick gas release causes a portion of the sheet to collapse, creating the cracks??

.....btw- under pressure from the CO2 gas, the dust probably does 'flow' much like a liquid at times

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

this is a normal type of dust deposition with the action of wind, the channels provide shelter which allows more dust to settle

Posted

• eagiles by eagiles in response to AUricle's comment.

it seems unlikely but the word liquifraction comes to mind, co2 forms dry ice can it therefore act as a liquid ohno it is going to get complicated, i persume it can act as a dust therefore as a dust it can act as a liquid and carry the dark sand from below. i am only offer an opinion for debate. an asking silly questions.

Posted