Planet Four Talk

"Teardrop", "cartoon thought bubble", and an "angry bird"..... blotches?

• AUricle by AUricle

I can't bring myself to call these 3 objects fans, yet they a 'regularity' about them that says they're not your average blotch either.
    Anyone care to illuminate me on this?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

3 or 4 fans in the bottom fan, top big one is a fan coming from a crack, ditto the line right of there and the v to the right

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

take mschwamb's answer as a guide (although query is loosely similar to yours): http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000001/discussions/DPF00009c5

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to wassock's comment.

wassock,...........no argument from me on those crack-fans. It's the three little 'blobs' (2 just to the right of the lower fan {"cartoon thought bubble", and an "angry bird"}) and 1 just left and above the same fan(teardrop).

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

?..because they are so very dark? There's a scientist post about something similar saying they are some sort of surface flow feature, like fine dust rolling down a hill, or something. But not fans or blotches, think the one in question looked like it filled part of a channel

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

Ah....I'll have to look that up. You may have described it perfectly when you said "flow".

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to SEJones's comment.

I must not be explaining myself correctly. Hope this helps.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i92jlabqa8kkwyn/50e73e825e2ed21240001baf.jpg
    Not normal fans, not normal blotches. But still dust emissions of some type.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I must not be explaining myself correctly.

Yes you are, I saw the three dark points straight away. I still think they are dust/dirt emissions of sorts though.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

True, JM. I think wassock's right on this one. It's more like a horizontal movement, a flow of the dust, than a plume sprayed out vertically. At least by appearence. I guess it's nothing. Maybe I just like to opine on these things. It's all just so interesting!

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

ok, since the' teardrop, 'thought bubble' or 'angry bird' don't meet the blotch or fan criteria, simpler to tag as 'interesting'. the project's current aim is to classify blotches and fans. the project scientists have informed us that the next phase of the project will include other features. ps: it's possible that these three features you spotted in this image are to do with what the project scientists call 'dry seepage' where the dark "sand" or dust runs down an icy slope - no fans involved.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

Thanks SEJ,

Actually I did both. Marked that whole image as #fans, ('cause there are a few) marked the 'blob's' as #blotches, and then dragged "interesting feature" stars over the 3 features noted here.

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

i think pattern recognition will always have grey areas so the best we can do is use our best judgement. i would hazard a guess that the stats is likely to show around a 50/50 split among users between blotch and interesting for each of these three features. i think this would trigger further investigation by project scientsis for confirmation

Posted