Planet Four Talk

projections like intestinal villi!

• SEJones by SEJones

these really reminded me of intestinal villi. villi are tiny projections from epithelial lining of intestine to increase surface area of lining hence increase absoprtion of nutrients. if this image is showing true protrusions (and not an optical illusion), can someone explain the reason for their formation?

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

I haven't seen any image quite like this one. Millions of little flowerheads with thread lines. This should keep the scientists busy for a while

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

if you are referring to central disk of sunflower plant, i agree with analogy. very similar. project scentists should first confirm if this image really shows projections..

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Seen a few of these, been flagging them as #pimples even though they are probably pits

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to wassock's comment.

Flipped 180 deg., they're #dimples...(your intuition was right!)....astounding number of them too.
    They're the pits!

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

yes if rotated they do look like tiny pits. but pls explain why should we preferentially trust one direction over the other?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Most of the pics are presented upside down, sun bottom right, south at the top. Most peoples brains expect the sun to be top left, turn the image right way, and the suns where it should be and where your brain wants it to be and bingo.

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

tnx! 😃

Posted