Planet Four Talk

Thread Like features

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

There are thread like features in this image. I download this image and zoom in close and found thin thread like features. Haven't seen this before on any of the images I have looked at so far. Anyone care to offer a suggestion as to what the might be. I do wish these samples were photographed at a higher resolution.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Excellent question. Anya wrote a blog post about these features.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

Hi Meg
    Take a real close look at this image. ZOOM IN the thread lines are tiny

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

I know what you're talking about, and resident scientist Anya does address those super fine lines that seem to cross the yardangs. Read through the blog post AND the comments.

Oh hell, here it is...in a response to "Jon" who asked the question.

Anya says :January 15, 2013 at 10:51 pm
    As I can not see those lines in summer images of the location, I think, they are something inside or on top of the seasonal ice cover.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

BlueMoon,

I'm trying to work up a collection of those things. All the ones I've seen are in images that either have #yardangs in them....or in areas that look like they're becoming yardangs. They almost seem to be floating above the terrain. Like tiny cracks in an ice cube. Some even have a tiny "spider" appearence.

I'll put up some images if I get a wothy group together. Hope you'll do the same!

Posted