Planet Four Talk

Who turned the lights off?

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

wonder what the sun elevation was on this image.

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to Wounded Knee's comment.

Yes. Very difficult illumination. Furthermore, I'd really like to know definitively what took place here and on a vey similar image I just finished working on.
    Usually, the reddish dust marks out the fan, but in these images, it looks like the red dust has completely covered over the ice,and then later, outgassing vents brought up an even darker material forming the fans, with the settling gas re-freezing into the bluish forst layer.
    .....at least that's how it appears to me, but it just occurred to me that the area is so poorly lit, could it be that we are actually seeing ** right through** the ice to the red dust layer below?

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

The effect I'm trying to imagine regarding seeing right through the ice is like what happens when driving in foggy conditions at night. The more light you apply, the more 'blinded' you become as more light is reflected back at you. So I'm thinking that perhaps the same thing is occurring here. In full daylight, the CO2 ice scatters/reflects back so much light, you cannot see through it, but under low illumination you can actually see the ground beneath the ice!
    Feel free to weigh in here, because there is at least 50/50 chance that I've just gone over the edge...😉

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to Wounded Knee's comment.

It's actually not too bad for polar areas: sun was 13 degrees above horizon. The place is really dark.

Anya

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to Wounded Knee's comment.

Also, other parts of the same (complete) image were brighter, so camera was dealing with high contrast. You simply have got the dark part.

Anya

Posted