Planet Four Talk

Orange corrugations?

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I remember seeing this image (or something similar) on BBC Stargazing Live. It looked like nothing else, quite dramatic but it turns out that the surface is generally flat (JKalapothakis had said this).

The first image below has been inverted (I always do this), to get it the right way from a viewing perspective. I did a little editing with the colours and gamma, to show the surface below dust/gas emissions, which I assume are emanating from hairline cracks. The white depressions look like mini craters, scars or divots (I'm no expert).

![Image inverted, colour toned down.]
    (http://www.mediafire.com/conv/ec8c079e649ed2af002a8cd7e8dab6676624b0ae5621d700cae6de078edf8c186g.jpg)

The second image is the same as the original except, that it has been negated. I did a few other edits but no airbrushing!

![Image negated, chroma negated]
    (http://www.mediafire.com/conv/80d2abe30a2aa7435bc5e5d5bab57345dd23a7a069837bff1076c2a6b6b674916g.jpg)

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

I've seen this as surface dust shading the surface all along - the next leap (supposing the pattern repeats year on year) is that eventually it'll end up looking like this APF0000aci with the spiders forming along the lines of the cracks.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I am unable to connect the two images? Are you sure it is the right one?

Posted

That's the right one, the main spider channels form broadly polygonal shapes similar to the black lones on the orang image. So if the gas continues to vent along the same lines then the ground beneathe may in time erode into spiders which would then look like my picture

Posted

Might be easier to see in this one APF0000add

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

Hence the problem of rotating images 😃 . the negative image is the same orientation as the original, the rotatated one in the middle is...erm... upside down.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to wassock's comment.

So if the gas continues to vent along the same lines then the ground beneath may in time erode into spiders which would then look like my picture

Not for me I'm afraid but then I was never any good at Geology. The 'orange' image has a linear feel to it, quite different to the other image. Shall we get a scientist in?

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Wounded Knee's comment.

Hence the problem of rotating images 😃

I don't know what you mean?

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee in response to JellyMonster's comment.

If images are being used that are sometimes up, sometimes down, confusion follows, ( I imagine the IT lot are having kittens when considering 3 million randomly oriented images 😃

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Wounded Knee's comment.

Oh I see what you mean now. You can't invert them here on the site though, so no harm will have been done.

Posted