Planet Four Talk

Weird bridge like feature?

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Hi,

It may be a trick of the light, but there is a weird bridge like feature in the top right of this image?

Weird bridge like feature

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

SCIENTISTS, might it be worth checking de-iced version if one available?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Eeeeemmmm... where exactly is the bridge-like feature?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to Portyankina's comment.

Think its in the top right of the inserted image. Theres a light feature, like part of a spider, which seems to cross a line of the darker material. If you have your "spiders are raised" glasses on the it looks like the spider runs above the "road" of darker material. If you really screw your eyes up you can see the light feature as a nose with nostril at the bottom left of it and the dark lines either side as eyes.
    What I find more interesting is the left to right fan below this which has a bright wavy line cutting across it - imaging or real feature?

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to wassock's comment.

Just noticed that face like feature. lol

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to Portyankina's comment.

Hi Anya,

In the far top right corner, there is something that looks similar to a 'wooden stick' at an angle like this \

I am guessing it is another perception thing, & from your perspective a channel instead.

My bad

😦

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to Ian Mason's comment.

Is that the light coloured feature beneath the image of the head of someone wearing a hoody? 😃

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to Ian Mason's comment.

you need to zoom the image to see it clearly

Posted

• pocketmoon by pocketmoon

Ah.... image is upside down (for our brains) so the interesting linear feature is a trench of some sort

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to wassock's comment.

Hi Wassock, you are perceptive & I have only just noticed the head in the very top right wearing a hoody! lol

If this was a scale picture, the 'straight' feature that I am on about looks like a wooden stick being held in his left hand & crosses over his right shoulder.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Dunno what it is but it looks quite a lot like this http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=2890

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to pocketmoon's comment.

You might have a point there Pocketmoon!

Anyone able to point out from which direction the light is coming from, & anyone able to work their magic & provide a clear zoomed in image of the top right hand corner where the dark patch/fan is?

Many thanks.

Like the link also wassock! 😃

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

I think this image shows it off better (the hoody that is). Doesn't do much for the dune worm though. 😦

![Negative image] (http://www.mediafire.com/conv/096d9b55908998a09e68ca39cd7e2a4435b222515ab7c2640074fdc01a6b6ce16g.jpg)

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Thanks Jelly, that change of colour really puts a different spin on the landscape doesn't it!

I am trying to the better quality HiRISE version of this image, & will post back if I have any luck.

Many thanks all.

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Hi again,

I received this which displays the HiRISE technical stuff, but to view the image I think means a hefty download 😦 http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_012077_0930

Posted

I can't work out how to use this site. How do you find the image above, or any other for that matter, as there's nearly 27,000 photos to plough through.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Ian Mason's comment.

Hey look, I have inverted the picture. The hoody is now Abraham Lincoln but the dune worm hasn't changed.

Face on Mars

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Hi Jelly,

Sadly, it appears that the SCIENTIST's do not have any direct cross reference with 'individual' images on here & the HiRISE website!

The images that appear on here are taken from much larger images on the HiRISE website that cover much vaster areas, & then cut down. So in order to view this image, I gather you need to download the whole HiRISE version & zoom in.

I actually got my lines crossed, because I thought in the case of this image for example, that the SCIENTISTS's did have a direct link, & each individual image was available to them as a higher quality crossed referenced 'Wallpaper', but sadly not. 😦

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

I see a very angry sheep there.. 😉

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to michaelaye's comment.

Fantastic!

It took a me a while to figure that one out, but yes it does doesn't it, hehehe. Actually might it be a Ram as it looks like a horn on the right of 'his' head?

Sheep recognition, hehehe.

😃

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to michaelaye's comment.

I see a very angry sheep there..

I've looked and looked but still can't see it. Don't give any clues away yet though.

Posted

I gather you need to download the whole HiRISE version & zoom in.

Yes you're right, the downloads are huge but the site is fascinating. I have even noticed (dare I say it) that most of the images on there, are the right way round for viewing purposes.

Posted

• simondavidheath by simondavidheath

I just wanted to verify if we were talking about the same "bridge"?
    Take me to the bridge

Posted

That feature is actually a depression (see other large photo). I think you will find it is the pipe like structure above it (so different to anything else).

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to simondavidheath's comment.

Hi Simon, if you mean the bit which is marked with 2 black marks beneath the 'w' in 'shadow', then no, that is not the piece that I am on about.

What I perceived as a bridge like feature is the bit that runs up at an angle like this \ & it starts directly above the letter 'i' in 'with'. I am not sure if anyone is anyone is familiar with antique wooden furniture, but the word 'barley twist' springs to mind. It kind of just leapt out at me, & I am fascinated by what it might be.

JM, have you found the sheep yet? lol

Have no fear, if Michael is not around then I will try & point it out for you when you are ready.

😃

Posted

JM, have you found the sheep yet? lol

Is it in the same area as Abraham Lincoln?

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Ooooh, Ooooh, Ooooh.....Jelly and Ian........can more than 2 play this game?
    I believe I see them 'both', and your Abe L. reference clinched the deal for me.
    You guys are really stretching it, eh? 😉

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Is it in the same area as Abraham Lincoln?

Guess what! I can't make out Abe, but yes the sheep does include the inverted hoody.

Ooooh, Ooooh, Ooooh.....Jelly and Ian........can more than 2 play this
    game? I believe I see them 'both',

I think JM & I are both going to need your much needed help actually AUricle, because I don`t know where Abe is in relation to the sheep/ram, lol.

I give in! How about you JM?

😃

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

"I think JM & I are both going to need your much needed help actually AUricle, because I don`t know where Abe is in relation to the sheep/ram, lol".

OUCH! Hmmm... How to do this without giving it away..... Uh-oh, now I see a threesome, Abe, the sheep, and King Edward VII, but he's facing left, not like the coin image. OK, Ed VII and Abe overlap quite a bit, and in fact, there is 'overlappage' in the trio. Pity the sheep 😉

Posted

I think I can also see the complete cast of Star Trek in there 😃. The angry sheep/ram still eludes me and now what's this... King Edward the bloody VII!

Going back to the 'weird bridge like feature', I think might be a gas pipe from a lost civilisation as it seems to be sticking out of the ground. Others have said, dune worm, a piece of furniture 😮

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Going back to the 'weird bridge like feature', I think might be a gas
    pipe from a lost civilisation as it seems to be sticking out of the
    ground.

Not a frozen angled Martian steel cable then? http://www.spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=Michael-French-swirlyICE_1296508078.jpg

a piece of furniture
    😮

I don`t mean that literally, just the 'barly twist' type shape in general. 😃

AUricle, are you able to outline the sheep, the King, & Abe on JM's inverted image using paint, & upload on here? Failing that, a navigable description of all 3 may be sufficient (good luck lol). Or I will have a go at describing the huge right facing sheep that takes up the entire bottom left 1/4/corner of that image, or will try & outline using paint if you PM me an email address JM. 😃

Posted

This is crazy. I can't see the sheep because Abe keeps diverting my attention.

Not a frozen angled Martian steel cable then?

No, it's the wrong colour but the term 'Martian steel cable' sounds impressive.

I don`t mean that literally, just the 'barly twist' type shape in general

I knew what you meant, like a twisted walking stick?

Abraham Lincoln (or Roman soldier) solution below...

![Abe] (http://www.mediafire.com/conv/a2a798e727ea26dfb8e494a3bb07790066067d931e7bdc83be5679a3aaf1d3d56g.jpg)

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby

I also came across this image and put it in a different chat (could this be Alien Fossils???? ) and i just came across this image and the Bottom right of this image caught my eye APF0000e8o abit similar 😉

Posted