Planet Four Talk

Fans Blue Gas Flames ?

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

Interesting image blue streaks eminating from the fans could this be blue gas flames?

Posted

• altafkaji by altafkaji

co2?

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

Is it CO2 ?

We are being lead to believe that is the case. I thought the purpose of the exercise was to express what WE SEE. If we are being told it's CO2 then that's what we will believe. If we see a ridge and someone says it's a valley who is right and who is wrong ?

These images are as new to the Scientists as they are to the Lay Observer.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

We only see images. Scientists have a lot more information at their disposal so I would say it is better to listen to them. However, inverting the image should give you a more clearer picture of what it actually looks like... try it. There are loads of posts on this subject... I should know as I started most of them! Try 'Veins', or 'Seeing is believing?' and look in the blog '1st rule of Mars'.

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

Hi Blue,

I am convinced that along with CO2 there are 1 or 2 other substances in the 'mix' which are causing reactions & such great colours.

On some images I have questioned whether some of these these blue parts are stains from eruptions that may have gone off say many years previously, but subsequently erupted again more recently.

Posted

• protheric by protheric

If the blue(cyan) is the stuff escaping, it would explain why blue is less common in the pictures than the brown, assuming that the blue stuff then freezes on the surface to form the dark brown patches. To form proper theories though, I think more information is needed.

It seems to me that we are being deliberately left in the dark, so that we only comment on what we see - and that is fair enough. If we are given temperature information, geographic location, etc then we could start to guess what is really happening and I suppose the scientists don't want a lot of crackpot ideas from people not in a position to make sensible propositions.

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

'I suppose the scientists don't want a lot of crackpot ideas from people not in a position to make sensible propositions'

But that's what they're gonna get! I should know.....

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

The theory on the bright blue stuff is that its freshly formed solid CO2 - frost or maybe snow coming from the vent,or fresh air frost on the material in the fan (which maybe my idea). Going on peoples posting habits it appears that the asylum is in the states whilst the lunatics taking it over are mainly UK based. The purpose of the exercise is just to get lots of information on fan size and direction, figuring out what's going on isn't part of the misson statement methinks. Course doesn't mean we won't try.

Posted