Planet Four Talk

Clear joining

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

There is one immediate problem with your hypothesis: there is no mound, these are depressions. Channels and central depression are negative topography features. Oh, there is another problem: it's at -123C, so you have to first go discover some microorganisms that can stand that.

Anya

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

KPDM, I cannot see the channels either... see my post 'Seeing is believing?'

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

one can only see / understand that these are depressions by knowing that the light comes from the lower right. Try to make a screenshot and turn the image by 180 degrees. It is a known fact, that the brain understands 3D information better when the light comes from the upper left.

Posted

That is what I have been saying all along! I cannot see the channels in the original image, in fact I don't think anybody can without forcing the issue, which shouldn't be necessary. That is why I have tried to explain many times, that the images need rotating through 180 degrees.

If it is a known fact that the brain understands 3D information better when the light comes from the upper left, why display the images (nearly 3,000,000 of them) the other way round? This means that, with exception of scientists, we see peaks instead of troughs and vice versa.

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

I imagine it wouldnt be to hard for the programmers to add a show picture inverted button to the page.

Posted

Yes, if the box is ticked, do the action until un-ticked. This would at least give people the option to view the image as it should be, rather than seeing a negative image.

Wounded knee, did you follow the link for the examples I had on my web page?

Posted