Planet Four Talk

Blue-black fans, brown blotches

• tolik83 by tolik83

Am I right in assuming that the brown blotches are of more recent origin than the blue-black fans? Or what can account for the different color?

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

that's the theory. the dark parts of the fans are presumably recent, while the blue halos are the frost remnants of earlier activity in the same spot.

Posted

• tolik83 by tolik83

But the interesting fact is, that in addition to the blue halos and the black fans, you also have (only a few) brown blotches.

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

the larger brown blotches suggest a less dense dispersion of dust for which I imagine there are several possible causes, such as the case where a blotch might be created by a series of small overlapping indistinct fans

Posted

• tolik83 by tolik83

The way I understood it so far is, that if there is no wind when a sand geyser erupts, the dust will not be dispersed in one direction, but falls down to the ground in a more or less circular pattern around the blowhole. I just wonder, whether there is any significance in the fact that the material that created the blotch is brown, and thus a different color than the fans...

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

that's the correct mechanism but in this image I'm not inclined to make a marked distinction between the browner areas and the blacker ones

Posted

• trebor82 by trebor82

I thought that the "blue" is either frost or some sort of gas like Argon or co2. I am sure you can tell what sort of substance it is by its color. Each element i associated with a certain color, or have I got that wrong. please correct me and let me know if I am wrong. cheers

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

the blue is believed to be CO2 frost, a remnant of prior eruptions

Posted