Planet Four Talk

My Theory *Help me imporve this theory on the cause of the fans and spots on mars

• Jonsmith9847 by Jonsmith9847

Whats causeing the cracks?
    This is what i think:
    The sun is at a point of high activity releaseing more radation from its surface in the form of "solar flares".

This radation is hiting the surface of mars acting a bit like microwaves cooking from the inside. This causes the inside or core of the planet to destabilise and increase forces acting on the surface of mars.

Unlike Earth the plates formed by this movement are smaller in sise. This is like ice breaking. The pressure forces the surface cracks to open up and this presure forces the dust or surface of mars to be ejected into the space above the surface and fall back to ground produceing the fans and spots.

Like tectonic plates hear on earth they produce diffrent features depending on the direction the plates are moveing. say if the plates are moveing apart you get spots as there is no obstruction or stronger force acting on the dust. When one plate moves over the other the top plate controls the direction of the fan.

This is constistant with the images as the fans all appear to be froming in ridges and pointing the same direction. This proves there is a common force acting on the area of fans. (They are connected by something).

What makes the features darker or lighter?
    This is simple the ground on earth changes colour the deeper you go so you can get dark top soil and light clay below. This is the same on mars as you get diffrent colours of sand at diffrent levels. So the ejected material is comeing from deeper under the surface of mars.

So i belive the structure of mars to be like this:
    Sand..............
    Ice ---------------
    Rock"""""""""""""
    liquid[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
    *stacked in that order

If this where to be true this would be great to help understand what mars is like underground without having to drill into the earth or crash satalites into the surface.

I belive that the history of mars to be this:
    mars was once a very wet planet that could have organisms living in this water. Then the planet cooled as it aged and the liquid turned to ice. this ice slowly moved around the surface of mars acting like a clacier grinding the rocks beneath it into sand. then being deposited onto the surface of mars in the same way we are studying now.

This is just some cases i belive to be ture and would be willing for my ideas to be changed and disproved or proved. Because that is what science is about. I based most of my ideas on natural phenomenon that exist on earth. So thank you for reading my comment and message me if you have any questions of corrections i can make.

By Jon Smith

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

These fans have been observed for many years, also during solar minimums. Your move. 😉

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

Interesting Jon, my guess (based on a passing interest only) is that Mars is completely stable as far as tectonics/shifting plates is concerned. There is no evidence of recent volcanic activity whatsoever, which you would get with tectonics. The fans and blotches are produced when the sun heats gas below a layer of CO2 ice and that gas expands, breaks free and throws dust and dirt onto the surface which is thrown to the side by the wind. The ice acts as greenhouse glass, storing the heat inside until it becomes critical and overpowers the ice. The expanded gas can be seen in all of the spiders that we see. When the gas vents it seems to form boulders above it, as the gas is exposed to the Martian atmosphere and extreme cold. These boulders grow and grow, roll about in the wind (which forms grooves).

Hope this makes sense and is not complete hogwash!

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

If the ice plates were moving, there would be ice pile ups and crevaces? pressure waves in the ice, as on a glacier-which doesn't seem to appear in these images, anyway. Moving ice plates seems unlikely to me Jon. The fans all point in the same direction because there is a wind present. I'm not disputing that there is water on Mars (or rather, there was...) I think there is plenty of water down there, in the form oof ice, but I can't see any reason it would move about.

Cheers Jon.

Posted