Planet Four Talk

Erupting Guyser

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

APF00009ju

Hexaganol base, gas venting from top and side if you look very closely to the cone......black stuff spewing out of the right hand side.

It's a great pic!

Posted

I give up!

No scientific explanation forthcoming!

Why?

Posted

Here's my potted opinion / guess.

It's a 'cone' of CO2 ice rising up and venting gas and material from below. Nothing else looks like it on these pictures (I've been through many hundreds) which means it is significant. No one will answer my direct questions about it, so they either don't know or don't want to say...?

I think they released this picture by mistake.

There, I'm either wrong and and a complete buffoon (probably....) or I'm bang on baby!.....I wonder which one it is.....hmmm...

Posted

Signing off now, fully expect to wake up to 'it's just a boulder of CO2 ice and a trick of the light....

No it 'aint !

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

We currently don't know what this object exactly is. But we know from experience that CO2 ice easily fools us into thinking something extraordinary goes on, and under closer scrutiny it always turns out to be something less sensational, nevertheless beautiful. It is with great sadness that I see that you already considered conspiracy theories.

Posted

• joshing by joshing

My first thought was that it looked like the camera lens had a drop a water or an invisible magnifier was hovering over one of the vents

Posted

Apologies Michael, I was only kidding!

I am not a scientist but I know how much you guys love a good conspiracy theory!

Seriously though, I fully appreciate you taking the time to respond and the work that is being done on progressing our understanding of Mars. This experiment to release these images has been an incredibly interesting and enjoyable experience for us amateurs!

Posted

• Dean_Marshall by Dean_Marshall

Some of the pictures look like the cover of rick ferens 2013 calendar, no really google it.

Posted