Planet Four Talk

clouds ??

• stacey888 by stacey888

what is this is it clousd dust storms wind ?? u can see 1 in the center there and two others 1 top central and 1 to the very top left just on the edge
    would love to know more about this

Posted

• chpets by chpets

I think the fans are shooting up and spraying at the photomoment.

Posted

• stacey888 by stacey888

ooo could be i did not think of that thanks

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

#duststorm. Looking at the pink tinged thing SE of the fans (looks like a jellyfish to me). If the sun is anywhere near the top then it seems to be throwing a shadow which would make it an airborne feature and would also explain the pink tinge?

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

checking the channel shadows i would say the sun is from the bottom right, perhaps it is a large dust devil, also i think it looks like a squirrel 😃

Posted

I am looking at the honeycomb type structures above the jelly squirrel, they only work for me as raised structures, like a honey comb with the sun at the top. Cant visulise their structure with sun at the bottom. If the sun were up top can you see it as a cloud and ground shadow?

Posted

OK can see the sun in either place now - need someone techie to confirm where the sun is please.

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

was thinking after checking again it is a hard one to call, would still say bottom right but coundnt be sure, i did notice that in the upper edge there looks like the edge of another one especially the pink tinge on the edge

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi everybody!

According to our spacecraft data, the sun in this image comes from bottom right, more precise 34.2 deg clockwise from the line you draw horizontally from the image center to the right.

Anya

Posted

So the sun is making the facing edge of the cloud pink and theres no ground shadow visible as the sun is fairly low? If this is the south pole and the sun is low down dods that mean that south is at the top somewhere?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

The thing you look at is not a cloud. It's a flatter area among higher elevated pitted terrain. You see a shadow on its lower right edge - where ground goes down and bright part on its upper left edge - where the ground goes up.

Anya

Posted

Anya so other images of the same area taken at different times show the same feature?

Posted

• samflo by samflo

Anya, if the dark patch on the lower right is the ground going down, what is the pinkish strip directly above it ?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to wassock's comment.

Yes, other images show the same feature. And there are more of similar features "above" this frame.

Pinkish fringe must be dusty ice patch protected by the shadow.

Anya

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Does this help? Isn't the 'dust cloud' an impact crater of some sort? That's a bit of a drop!

![Neg] (http://www.mediafire.com/conv/72786c3d4e1a78043397f94103b68346389922937f328936722bfe3da65221776g.jpg)

Posted

OK this is not a cloud. I now have 3 images showing the same feature, see And then there were three

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Hi,

Are these are impact craters on a slight slope which have been eroded away by many years of prevailing winds/dust? & might the pink tinge be dust containing heavier iron which has become settled in the sheltered leeward side of the slope.

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby

I came across this image APF0000apv which i think is the same area but with out the fans

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to rowbumby's comment.

The very same, thats one of the three,

Posted